Finally found a good legal collecting spot for spruce!

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is an update on the smallest two I'd posted earlier. This little single trunk shohin sized tree took a long time to recover from collection, but is showing good colour and lots of buds now. It may be ready for a bit of wire and pruning this fall.AF10F0F1-368E-47A1-986D-0CED0990A636.jpeg24060676-8B0D-421A-ABF2-2DC4AD4214CC.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting how foliage changed with increased size🤨.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a common reaction with increased health after collection. The trees selected for collection are often located in harsher environments and struggling for survival. This gives them a good portion of their character and smaller stature. Improving the environment and availability of nutrients naturally leads to an increase in foliage and foliage size. Once the tree has regained vigour the normal techniques can be applied to reduce needle size.
One other disconcerting change is rapid trunk thickening in conifers that can crack the thick aged flakey bark that is prized on some collected specimens.
One step that can be helpful is to limit fertilizer and time the application of same after the foliage has hardened off. For my collected trees I focus on small amounts of fertilizer in the late summer, early fall. The other time I tend to use smaller amounts is a month or so after repots that remove a good portion of the native soil. I also restrict my type of fertilizer to those with overall numbers below 10 in NPK. My preference is organic that breaks down very slowly and is kept in tea bags to allow for removal and limited application. The same principals could apply to liquid fertilizer application if you have a favourite. It is easy to stop and start liquid fertilizer application, particularly with inorganic substrates and low CEC ratings.

Last edited:

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually feel very relieved when the foliage gets big and course. It means the trees survived collection and are now healthier than they were on the mountainside. Light, water, fertilizer etc. Can really change the size and colour of spruce needles

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are some gnarly trunks man! I like em!
Thanks, that second tree has been possibly the hardest tree I have to create a decent vision for it's future style, and it's only 6.5" tall! I hope to have post-styling updates on both of these in the fall.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
These are some awesome little spruce trees. The sorts of things I wish I’ll find when I enter one of those sprawling nurseries with the old abandoned plants in a dingy corner and you just have them on your doorstep. Amazing. I love P. Glauca.

Top Bottom