Finally found it. New Horizons in Bonsai the TV show

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My sister snagged a VHS outta the trash at my mom's house and got it copied onto DVD for me. The first season of New Horizons in Bonsai.

I loved this show. My dad retired in 1994 and he determined he earned the right to watch TV all freaking day, and he happened to catch this on PBS.

Long story short, a progressive guy used sphagnum moss as his planting medium for tropicals and made two seasons of a tv show about it.

Bougies, hibiscus, citrus, palms, shefflera, ficus, bald cypress, suriname cherry, tamarind, amongst others. He'd shove anything in a pot. Very dry sense of humor too.

Unfortunately he died in 1996 at the age of 41.

Now I wonder where his trees went.

I thought all this was lost in time.

Attachments

• batch5.jpg
    batch5.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 43
  • batch4.jpg
    batch4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 51
  • batch3.jpg
    batch3.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 56
  • batch2.jpg
    batch2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 55
  • batch1.jpg
    batch1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 52

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From - IBC - Jerry Meislick ; bonsai hunk ]

Beware of sudden death.

Have done it for 3 or so years - used our cocoa moss.
Good experiment to try on a rooted cutting
Then wonder about hydroponic pebbles.
Good Day
Anthpny

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the series on tape. Isn't all that terrific in retrospect. Using only sphagnum moss as "soil" can be done in mostly tropical places. Try it say north of Pensicola with anything other than trpical species and you will have dead trees.

Yes. Cause of Batchelder's death is accurate and reported in many places after he passed.

The disease he died from is rare and not really of all that much concern for "regular" bonsai folks. The worst can happen even with potting soil too.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/29/health/potting-mix-bacteria-partner/index.html
And with chunkier bonsai soil ingredients
https://www.lung.org/lung-health-an...silicosis/silicosis-symptoms-causes-risk.html

Wear a face mask when mixing soil. I got a gross of nylon gloves (from my sister in law who works at a Bar-B-que joint--where they're used in food service) that I put on when I'm mixing and working with bonsai soil and sphagnum moss. I sometimes use a facemask, but not always.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I remember the show, which got me interested in bonsai way back. I'm sure I would laugh if I viewed it now.
CW

Top Bottom