Finally found some ficus at nursery (tiny cuttings)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I finally found some ficus at a local greenhouse/nursery store. (Im completely new to this)

There were in the houseplant section. It is essentially a 4" pot of what I would probably call "newly rooted cuttings". They are pretty tiny. They are variegated willow ficus.

I have always liked the banyan style. How can I get there from here? Should I try to move the stems closer together and use pinch and grow till they start merging? I will be misting daily to encourage aerial roots but im not sure if these are mature enough to produce them.. ?

Thanks for any advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want em to fuse you gotta let em grow like mad!

Sorce

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Variegated Willow Leaf Ficus? I'm not so sure about that. I've never seen a variegated Willow Leaf. Most likely benjamina.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Variegated Willow Leaf Ficus? I'm not so sure about that. I've never seen a variegated Willow Leaf. Most likely benjamina.

The pot label says weeping ficus. The sign at the store said variegated ficus. It definitely not a willow. My ID skills are terrible but I think you are correct.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
weeping is benjamina

willow is salicaria

can't believe you are actually having trouble finding ficus, they grow on the streets around here.

it is like me trying to find a larch or a hornbeam lol

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Indiana and Lebanon are a BIT different.

Without a sophisticated heated greenhouse setup I wouldn't try for anything fancy "figwise" in Indiana. Your growing season is too short and your winter homes are too dry.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you want them to fuse you need to bind them tightly together. Google is your friend just search for 'how to fuse ficus tree trunks'. This site is one of the better with good pictures. And be patient.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Indiana and Lebanon are a BIT different.

Without a sophisticated heated greenhouse setup I wouldn't try for anything fancy "figwise" in Indiana. Your growing season is too short and your winter homes are too dry.

Yeah its a bit difficult. Im a student in an apartment so I cant overwinter anything that needs dormancy.

I am considering setting up a terrarium with some ficus bonsai. I used to grow aquatic plants but the maintenance and expense was a little extreme for me. I could keep the humidity up, control light and temp. Ive never really seen it done. It could be interesting.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you find you can keep ficus alive it really is worth it to purchase something online. It may cost for shipping but it's worth it to have something a little more advanced. I ordered mine from wigerts bonsai. Also there may be something closer to you. Here we have Dasu bonsai they ship.
Wingerts sells nice trees at a nice price. The shipping is a little high but it is packaged well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you find you can keep ficus alive it really is worth it to purchase something online. It may cost for shipping but it's worth it to have something a little more advanced. I ordered mine from wigerts bonsai. Also there may be something closer to you. Here we have Dasu bonsai they ship.
Wingerts sells nice trees at a nice price. The shipping is a little high but it is packaged well.

Oh wow, I wish I had seen that site before I made my order. Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely remember it for the future.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah its a bit difficult. Im a student in an apartment so I cant overwinter anything that needs dormancy.

I am considering setting up a terrarium with some ficus bonsai. I used to grow aquatic plants but the maintenance and expense was a little extreme for me. I could keep the humidity up, control light and temp. Ive never really seen it done. It could be interesting.
I live in an apartment in iowa so I know it can seem hard but I don't have any special lights or grow boxes.
Willow leaf does well in lower humidity.
If the leaves turn yellow and fall off then I know I haven't watered enough.
If the leaves turn black then I know I have overwatered.
I buy all my soil from wigerts.
Since I plant in a free draining soil I don't overwater. Since I have all shohin size I have killed plants from not enough water.
It's a learning curve but you need a willow leaf in your collection. Lol
They sell these cuttings in my area for $3. They are labeled for fairy gardens.
I am happy to ship to you if you want a baby willow leaf.
Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I live in an apartment in iowa so I know it can seem hard but I don't have any special lights or grow boxes.
Willow leaf does well in lower humidity.
If the leaves turn yellow and fall off then I know I haven't watered enough.
If the leaves turn black then I know I have overwatered.
I buy all my soil from wigerts.
Since I plant in a free draining soil I don't overwater. Since I have all shohin size I have killed plants from not enough water.
It's a learning curve but you need a willow leaf in your collection. Lol
They sell these cuttings in my area for $3. They are labeled for fairy gardens.
I am happy to ship to you if you want a baby willow leaf.
Lol

Thanks for the offer! Thats very kind of you. I probably have enough twigs to be dangerous already though :) Ill have to double check the fairy garden section at the greenhouse on my next visit.

Top Bottom