Finally got a nice turntable. My shou sugi ban experience.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay so after stealing the lazy Susan out the pantry enough times, my wife finally agreed to let me make a proper bonsai turntable. Partly because I told her she could use it when repotting her rare plants 😏

I remember @Bonsai Nut saying he spends $50 for chairs..... So after hours checking and searching I finally was able to secure a barber chair for just that amount. Only had to drive about 40 minutes 1 way to get it.

A quick trip to the depot, and it was time to get started!

20200517_121202.jpg

First of all, and you experienced guys probably know this, but... holding the torch like this doesn't really work. That great

Screenshot_20200517-202040_Gallery.jpg

After realizing this and coming up with something else, NOW.... it's time to get started

Screenshot_20200517-202127_Gallery.jpg

Oh yeah, burn baby burn

20200517_123540.jpg

Sooooooo after burning, It was looking really good. I was digging it.

20200517_124351.jpg

the next step was to brush the soot and char off, and sand.... i probably should've just stopped at this step, but hey... live and learn right 🤷🏾‍♂️🥴

20200517_150931.jpg

So I wanted something that looked a little more "Japanese ", I apologized if thats not politically correct, but hey that's what I was thinking. So I went ahead and dropped a little stain on it.

20200517_152711.jpg

Next thing was to mount it to the base. Not quite easy peasy, this will probably rip off the base, but until I figure out a better way to anchor it to the base this will have to do, just remember not to pick the table up, by the table top

20200517_183240.jpg

And I can't remember who posted it, but someone gave a heads up about the babrber chairs not being level, and recommend using composite shims. They worked great. Still not quite 100% level, but close enough for this first go at it.

20200517_184413.jpg

Now I'm still not finish, I think I will sand the top once again, and try to bring out some of those highlights that got covered with the rush job of stain and poly.

So now my question is, how do you guys store these things? In the garage? Outside all year round? Cover with a barbecue grill cover?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nicely done!
Here in Zona I would keep a pine top like that inside. Sun kills wood fast out here.... cedar and red wood just a bit slower than the rest.

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful! I just made a bonsai shelf with this method. Lots of fun playing with a blow torch!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice!
Here's my counter top turntable....its got a heavy lacquer on it to keep the wood from rotting.
I think I never posted the end result, but I use it daily....love a good spinner!

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice work on this! Looks great!
For future reference can you explain/show a pic of what the composite shins are?
I ended up using a 4x4, cut at the correct angle to counteract the salon chair bracket not being level. But I’m sure this won’t be my last one.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@B-rad in GR they are comparable to old school wooden shims, but oddly they were like a buck cheaper. I think it was like 2 or 3 bucks for this 12 pack. Just like a wooden shim and snap it off if desired. Here's a couple picks including the selling points lol

20200518_092734.jpg

20200518_092800.jpg

20200518_092805.jpg

@AaronThomas thats why I was considering a grill cover or something. I wouldn't leave it im direct sun. We aren't AZ hot, but OKC can easily see 100+ on some summer days

@Katharsus definitely definitely fun. I feel like I need to do more things in this style now the wife already asked when I was going to build her a table now 🤦🏾‍♂️

@just.wing.it bro thats insane. Insanely artistic. I'm definitely digging it. Looks almost like a dragon made of water. Water dragon!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I leave mine outside but I coated the wood in a few thick coats of clear exterior lacquer.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
What was the interface between the stand and the actual chair?

More pics! That burner one is dope!

Sorce

So over the last couple days I went back and sanded a little more to get the highlights to pop a bit better. Dropped on 3 coats of poly and today got a little break in the clouds so I pulled it out of the garage.

20200521_160511.jpg

20200521_160631.jpg

20200521_160638.jpg

20200521_160525.jpg

Remembered you guys wanted to see underneath. I'd snap a couple using the front camera of how it's screwed together. Here you can see the shims just shoved in there, I didn't bother snapping them off. I'm a cheap ass, and I may redo this tabletop using a better more sound method to attach it so I can use these for something else 🤦🏾‍♂️ so I just left them. I got tired of messing with it and was just like 🖕🏾 it, so you can see the outcome of that, there are 2 different types of screws, with 2 different lengths.

20200521_160401.jpg

20200521_160413.jpg

As I was moving it back inside, I grabbed it by the top and 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️ it pulled right off the damn base!! My heart sank, because I thought the screws had ripped out of the table, but luckily the top of barber chairs just pulls right off naturally...... which I knew, because I took this one apart, sooooo I had a good laugh and recomposed myself as the wife came running out to the garage after hearing the base slamming into the concrete. But this allowed me to get some better pictures

20200521_160824.jpg

20200521_160834.jpg

Anyway, I sat the table top back on the base. And that was that. ✊🏾💪🏾😂

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bro!

I was at the Depot today and saw a dude walk out with 3 wood rounds like that, got to thinking about this.

Countersink a hole for a nut at the top side, and use a thru bolt.

Or you can just drill up the bottom and epoxy in the female part of small wall anchor. Something like.Capture+_2020-05-21-19-10-01.png

Oh, BTW...I always think about how you have to go and switch your keyboard to be "black", bogus, they should...you should make an app that reads your face and applies the keyboard accordingly! $
Better than that? I found the person that snagged the Illinois "Black" license plate today!
That sucks and is cool! Lol!
Can't give it up, can't go to Missouri!

I never knew ya'll turnt white when you laugh and cry though! Lol!

Sorce

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And I can't remember who posted it, but someone gave a heads up about the babrber chairs not being level, and recommend using composite shims.
That’d be me. Looking good! But that finish might be a little too fancy for the kind of abuse I subject it to!
3CE35C92-8C4C-43F3-9F4E-24A8D3B2B1E8.jpeg734460A0-4A3D-47F2-800C-1DC057866C7F.jpeg
Edit: Just drill through the shims, like I did. It’s very secure. I pick it up by the top all the time.

Last edited:

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@sorce 1 of the main things is that I wanted to keep the table top intact so I didn't want to screw all the way through it.

Like @PiñonJ said, I intend to put this thing through normal hell lol also, I've considered the fact that I do most of my work outside, so I will probably have to drag this table outside for spring and summer and leave under the patio shade.... Or, I may need to make another table. 1 that I can bolt down and leave outside year round and then just keep this table in the garage and setup an area for photos.

Of course, this definitely won't go over well with the wife lol

Top Bottom