Finally got myself a chunky monkey... tigerbark.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Though it's not an official "sumo" having Arial roots. It's a banyan style. But dang...that trunk base...is mesmerizing. I love the mature bark on this species...when it wrinkles...and I love the gnarly scars as they heal. It's better than a sumo...because it's mine. It has a history...survived the hurricane last year. Took some damage. Lost the right branch...which is now removed...and a slight crack. But it's healing...the crack produced an Arial root which is thickening and filling in the front of the split nicely. Suthin had something to bringing it to the states.

Adam Lavigne knew I was looking for a chunky monkey for a few years...and my love of this particular cultivar. We was able to come to an agreement...and he brought this up when visiting Cincinnati Ohio for a demo. My first club meeting...and it was nice. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. Seen Adam work his magic on the tree...I somehow forgot a final photo of that tree. When I ended up in a convo with the one near it on what Adam had done. 🤦 so maybe something will come up on FB of the final image.

But back to my tree...picked it up that night at the club...met up later in Kentucky at a club members house for a private lesson with Adam. Pretty cool. Nice of Evan to open his house for that. And Zack a member of my FB group...and VP of the Cincinnati club...offered new shoes for my tree...which was nice of him since I had none.
IMG_20190620_220612443.jpg IMG_20190620_215544812.jpg IMG_20190621_112717980_HDR.jpgIMG_20190621_175629359_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice find! Glad you found something you've been looking for. Looks like something youd imagine in a fantasy novel.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can’t wait to see where you go with this one! One of the most interesting ficus I’ve seen 😎

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice find! Glad you found something you've been looking for. Looks like something youd imagine in a fantasy novel.
Thanks! I was wanting scars, wrinkles and just a glob of a chunky monkey base.

I am so drawn to this tree. Not for the canopy, but for the wrinkles...nubs, and scars. Scars and such isn't for everyone..and I found it rather difficult to find all the boxes checked. I do like aerial roots...just hadn't expected that in the mix as well. Beggars need not be wanting it all.

image.jpg

Giving credit to the one...and the progression he shared. Those scars just get better with age. 😍
image.jpg

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a really interesting trunk line, great character. Excellent pick up, i'll be watching this thread 👍

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's too funny! That tree was in my collection around 6 years ago. I originally purchased it from Martha Meehan up in MD. I think she grew the stock from a cutting for many many years before I happened across it. I donated it to Adam after his initial hospital stay to help him pay bills if he wanted to sell it. I guess it stayed in his collection since just recently. I was also drawn to the gnarly nature of the tree. It's cool to see it again! Here's an original photo when I first purchased it.IMG_0187.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm sure he got the story twisted since it's been that long...and I did pay him for the tree. Thank you for sharing. It's cool to learn and see earlier photos of this tree.

I would send tree photos to Adam and a few who knew tropicals on advice if good material. Telling Adam I've looked for years for a chunky monkey. And he had this one. He did say it came from up North and he was to sell it for medical bills. (I wasn't sure if you wanted that part out. But didn't know that it was you but the one who was involved.) But for some reason he thought the original material came from Suthin. Well, that's okay it didn't...it's gnarly. And your removing those branches allowed for added character.

I personally don't think I would work with rooting cuttings. So don't feel bad you didn't. You helped add character to it's trunk. The scars are the best!

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like the trunk on it Darlene that's a good looking base. Looks like it is growing fast as well. Gonna be a great looking tree!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like the trunk on it Darlene that's a good looking base. Looks like it is growing fast as well. Gonna be a great looking tree!
Thanks!
Ficus amaze me. My too-little for instance and where it is after one year on my bench. This one will be fun to work all around. He steals the entire shelf of my grow cart when you factor in branching. Which is fine...he's what I wanted.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well that is fantastic to know the history.
i have heard that meehans has great stock.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thankyou! Now lets talk about that root protruding out the middle front...that would be the only part of this tree I would want to change if it were mine.
I'm not saying it won't be removed at some point in time. But at this early stage...I wish to develop the upper canopy and see how the trunk continues to melt into each other as known to do. I've seen progression photos of how this species morphs and becomes more gnarly. So at this stage...is early refinement...I'm not overly concerned.it wouldn't take anything to chop it off. But then I will always wonder what time would have done to it. I like gnarly and quirky. So it's my own fault as well.

Top Bottom