Finally got myself a chunky monkey... tigerbark.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@luvinthemountains now when I had a private lesson with Adam Lavigne. He did say he took a lot of cuttings from this particular tigerbark. It grows a fat base relatively quicker than ones he's ever worked with. So there is such a thing as characteristics of trees being different. As you mentioned.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaf reduction comes when the tree is further developed. Not a real concern of mine at this time. 😉 they will deduce.

Oh, I am sure you are right. But the mother plant I referred to is still in early development, with very little ramification to speak of. So I think the leaf size is normal for the variety I have.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh, I am sure you are right. But the mother plant I referred to is still in early development, with very little ramification to speak of. So I think the leaf size is normal for the variety I have.
I know I am right. Adam had this tree in his care for awhile. Adam knew this tree before it ever reached my care.

You focus on a specific goal,and regiment...and you achieve different things from any species.

*I am feeding heavy. Allowing grow tips to thicken branches... To build a structure to match the trunk of my tree...I have to build the bones before even thinking of ramification. If you look at this tree when it arrived in 2019. I've gained a decent thickness in thin branching in the upper part of this tree. I learned a lot from my private lesson with Adam. I'm following his guidance. Most who grow indoors part of the year haven't gained that growth in such a short time. I'm very pleased at where I am on this trees journey. I have people in Florida surprised at how I was able to thicken branches in a short time in the north...

I'm not sure what you are focused on with your own journey. But I've a goal...and with the guidance Adam Lavigne shared...I know I will get there sooner following his guidance. Then...and only then do I focus on leaf reduction. Which will come with a slower feeding cycle as well as ramification. Leaf size...is no concern to me at this time. Reduction of leaf is final stages in any bonsai. But since it is a concern of yours. I'm glad you are content with your leaf size.

I am rock solid in what I need to do...to get this tree to the next level. That...is my focus. 😉 Feels good to be so sure of ones self in their goals.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Picked up the display bench. In an ideal dreamy world would stage as such. But with three dogs. Two being English Bulldogs...I can't and not worry about the companion pot sliding off.
20210621_171854.jpg

So for safety...it will be centered. Need to find time to wire it. Ugh...busy week running errands.
20210621_160236.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Soooo the forced apex leader for what I would imaging on a deciduous tree...has bugged me on the Tigerbark. Today...I removed it! I believe it has left a more unified tree with natural looking fluid movement than forced.

Birds are loud this morning...so watch that volume.

Before
Tigerbark before apex removed.jpg

After
Tigerbark  forced apex removed.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice bones and pot (who is the maker?). I've got a couple of ficuses with large bases like these and am still trying to figure out how to build canopies that work. Have you got a final style in mind? Wide/spreading or more upright?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice bones and pot (who is the maker?). I've got a couple of ficuses with large bases like these and am still trying to figure out how to build canopies that work. Have you got a final style in mind? Wide/spreading or more upright?
Honestly...no clue to the pot maker. The president of the Cincinnati club gave it to me...we sort of switched containers our trees were in. When I went there in 2019 and we both were present for my private lesson with Adam. Wide spreading obtuse triangle. It was always to be wide spreading...than tall. To fit the grow cart. Adam's Lavigne's virtual...that helped force that chop.
Adam virtual for tigerbark.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was dying to see you do that! Nice work. I have started to adopt Adam's technique of bringing the apex down to become a branch. It is a great technique I think, but the new branch has to be heavily restrained to avoid over-thickening. I have a burtt davyi I did this with, and the apical bud on the trunk turned branch kept wanting to grow out at the expense of the branch turned trunk. Only now after multiple cutbacks on the former apex has the new apex started to take off.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was dying to see you do that! Nice work. I have started to adopt Adam's technique of bringing the apex down to become a branch. It is a great technique I think, but the new branch has to be heavily restrained to avoid over-thickening. I have a burtt davyi I did this with, and the apical bud on the trunk turned branch kept wanting to grow out at the expense of the branch turned trunk. Only now after multiple cutbacks on the former apex has the new apex started to take off.
Well...glad I didn't make you wait to long. 🙃

It will see, many hard cut backs Adam says. But I like where it is going. He wants me to develop that right as a leader with branching to the right of the tree and keep the obtuse triangle shape. I think it opened the trunk back up to be appreciated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
He wants me to develop that right as a leader with branching to the right of the tree and keep the obtuse triangle shape.

That seems to me to be right. With the hard reduction, I would imagine you might see some backbudding on the front-left side of the trunk which is something you also need right now. Excited to see how it progresses!

Top Bottom