Finally i have a Zelkova :-)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trust Your Journey.

You shoulda brought the popcorn to the late summer repotting thread!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

They was fighting...you know... 🍿!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
based on what youve learnt about elms over the last few months, what are you going to do with it?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d plant it in a huge nursery can or the landscape,let run wild, and dig ->put in good soil in spring just before bud break.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It Depends....
What do you want the final size of this tree to be? If you are aiming for a shohin, then I would wire it now, and in the spring I would repot it into a pot. Depending on what you find the nebari to look like, I would do the Ebihara method on the roots or just spread them out in a shallow pot.
That's what I would do.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
based on what youve learnt about elms over the last few months, what are you going to do with it?

I'm inclined to leave it be until next spring and let it grow then to pot up in spring in some better soil :)

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Those 3 branches from the trunk will cause inverse taper if allowed to thicken heavily.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
How do i deal with that ?? thanks
It comes down to your decision on style and size, and also why people think making a Zelkova broom is easy, when in fact it is not.

You can keep it the size it is (little larger than shohin?) and make sure it doesnt get too vigorous, or if you want it to be larger you will have to monitor that junction and remove one of the branches if it starts to swell.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It comes down to your decision on style and size, and also why people think making a Zelkova broom is easy, when in fact it is not.

You can keep it the size it is (little larger than shohin?) and make sure it doesnt get too vigorous, or if you want it to be larger you will have to monitor that junction and remove one of the branches if it starts to swell.
I do plan to keep it small as it is 9 inches like all my other trees :)

Top Bottom