Finally made it to the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, nice. I'm fairly certain that Ponderosa is new. I know I have not seen it before. I live nearby enough that I visit the National Bonsai Museum (and Arboretum) about once or twice a year.
That ponderosa, indeed called "Jackie Gleason Dancing" has been in the collection a very very long time. Famed Pacific Northwest collector Dan Robinson collected the tree. It's been there since I started going up to the collection back in the early 90's.
https://www.bonsai-nbf.org/behind-t...i-museum-repotting-the-ponderosa-pine-bonsai/

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True. It was enormous for sure. I'm thinking it must weigh 300- 400 lbs. The trunk circumference had to be like 28" or something crazy. Everything there blew me away. I left thinking man I am thinking too small scale...
I'd say the majority of the trees in the collection are "two man" trees, over 35 lbs. Many are over 100 lbs. The initial gift trees from Japan that form the core of the collection are easily 35 lbs each. The scale of the trees was what got me into bonsai long ago. I saw them and thought "wow. Bonsai aren't sissy cutesy little junipers. They're BIG wildish animals"

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Victorim this tree made me think of that beech you posted not long ago.
0B7AC0EC-654B-4A52-98BF-D8E3B320E9E2.jpeg

@PiñonJ thanks for the thread...its awe inspiring to look upon trees with such history! The dates on some of those trees...just hit me...as to the history behind bonsai. I mean I know bonsai goes way back...but to see the material...is amazing.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And to do it with no fungacides,pesticides,modern soil mixes,i think they-and there care takers over the years are amazing

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if they have a team of people who work on these trees. Seems like it would be a huge responsibility for upkeep to rest on one persons shoulders. No way...no how.... would I ever even want to be responsible for even watering one of these things. They are truly awe inspiring.

You'd be surprised. Unpaid volunteers do most of the day to day care. Those folks usually find their way to the arb through one of the seven local clubs in the area. Had a friend a while back who was a volunteer there. After working there for a few months and being monitored by the staff, he was asked to "give Goshin a trim." Uh, Okaaaayyyy. My friend was a very capable bonsaiist, but hey, it's Goshin. He did the job and he did it well.

Major revisions or operations on the trees are a consultative process sometimes among the arb's curator and the original donator--if they remain alive. Things can get complicated otherwise.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That ponderosa, indeed called "Jackie Gleason Dancing" has been in the collection a very very long time. Famed Pacific Northwest collector Dan Robinson collected the tree. It's been there since I started going up to the collection back in the early 90's.
https://www.bonsai-nbf.org/behind-t...i-museum-repotting-the-ponderosa-pine-bonsai/
Technically it may not be part of the collection as it's displayed outside the museum proper.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Technically it may not be part of the collection as it's displayed outside the museum proper.
Um, SURE it's in the museum. Just not currently housed in one of the pavilions IN the museum. It is the first NATIVE bonsai given to the arb. Like many of the displays, it can be moved. However, it is also a VERY heavy tree and requires special equipment to make it go mobile, like a crane. It is also so large that placing it in the North American pavilion would require re-locating three other trees from that facility--where would those go?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, SURE it's in the museum. Just not currently housed in one of the pavilions IN the museum. It is the first NATIVE bonsai given to the arb. Like many of the displays, it can be moved. However, it is also a VERY heavy tree and requires special equipment to make it go mobile, like a crane. It is also so large that placing it in the North American pavilion would require re-locating three other trees from that facility--where would those go?
It's never been displayed IN the museum to the best of my knowledge

There is a more detailed explanation in his book, Gnarly Branches Ancient trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's never been displayed IN the museum to the best of my knowledge

There is a more detailed explanation in his book, Gnarly Branches Ancient trees.
It is IN the museum. It is physically inside the museum enclosure in the garden between the pavilions-which also home to other special displays of the museum's trees.. Don't know how much more inside it can get. I have the book. Don't recall that passage, but I have a feeling it is splitting hairs with being displayed inside one of the pavilions--particularly the North American pavilion of North American bonsai.
I looked it up. The "argument" back in the late 70's was about dedicating space in the (yet to be built) North American pavilion to John Naka's trees or making space for Dan's. The prominent placement in the courtyard was welcomed by Dan as he said his tree would have been lost among the number of others in that pavilion. It's a 35 year old beef that is long forgotten, since the tree is in the museum in a very prominent place, just not crowded in with Naka's trees.

Last edited:

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is IN the museum. It is physically inside the museum enclosure in the garden between the pavilions-which also home to other special displays of the museum's trees.. Don't know how much more inside it can get. I have the book. Don't recall that passage, but I have a feeling it is splitting hairs with being displayed inside one of the pavilions--particularly the North American pavilion of North American bonsai.
I looked it up. The "argument" back in the late 70's was about dedicating space in the (yet to be built) North American pavilion to John Naka's trees or making space for Dan's. The prominent placement in the courtyard was welcomed by Dan as he said his tree would have been lost among the number of others in that pavilion. It's a 35 year old beef that is long forgotten, since the tree is in the museum in a very prominent place, just not crowded in with Naka's trees.
rockm - thanks for setting me straight. I can't believe I don't remember this tree. I'll be visiting the museum in 3-4 weeks for a bonsai class being held there so I will be sure to look for this tree then.

I understand that they also have a holding area with quite a number of trees that are not currently on display. I've never been inside, but I've seen photos. So I figured it made sense that there would be some trees that I had not seen before.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
rockm - thanks for setting me straight. I can't believe I don't remember this tree. I'll be visiting the museum in 3-4 weeks for a bonsai class being held there so I will be sure to look for this tree then.

I understand that they also have a holding area with quite a number of trees that are not currently on display. I've never been inside, but I've seen photos. So I figured it made sense that there would be some trees that I had not seen before.
It's not so much a holding area, as it is a rotation/recovery area. all bonsai are never in "show shape" 24/7/365. The ones that are reaching their peak are put on display. Some may be put in the area to be worked or grown out etc. I've seen the area in person. there are usually only a handful of trees there during the season (spring and summer).

FWIW, the arb is always getting new trees from both Japan as diplomatic gifts and donations from collectors. I've been going there for almost 30 years now and I always see something new.

It is easy to overlook stuff in your first few visits, as there are literally hundreds of amazing trees there. That's why one or even four trips are never enough. Don't get me started on seasonal visits, as there is even more variety to overwhelm you.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Lol I’m picturing this poor ponderosa always waiting to get invited into the club, but never making it, never good enough, wondering what the other trees talk about inside the “real” museum.

I used to get to dc far more than I do now. I visit the collection typically just once a year at the spring show/sale now. It stil ratchets down my anxiety significantly when I do.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Lol I’m picturing this poor ponderosa always waiting to get invited into the club, but never making it, never good enough, wondering what the other trees talk about inside the “real” museum.

I used to get to dc far more than I do now. I visit the collection typically just once a year at the spring show/sale now. It stil ratchets down my anxiety significantly when I do.
It's like a 600lb obese lady trying to fit into mini-cooper.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You'd be surprised. Unpaid volunteers do most of the day to day care. Those folks usually find their way to the arb through one of the seven local clubs in the area. Had a friend a while back who was a volunteer there. After working there for a few months and being monitored by the staff, he was asked to "give Goshin a trim." Uh, Okaaaayyyy. My friend was a very capable bonsaiist, but hey, it's Goshin. He did the job and he did it well.

Major revisions or operations on the trees are a consultative process sometimes among the arb's curator and the original donator--if they remain alive. Things can get complicated otherwise.
Yikes! That's so American of us right. Do you think they would let you do that in Japan?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yikes! That's so American of us right. Do you think they would let you do that in Japan?
Ask some of the western apprentices over there now. The answer is yes in some cases.

Top Bottom