Finally made it to the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is IN the museum. It is physically inside the museum enclosure in the garden between the pavilions-which also home to other special displays of the museum's trees..

I agree with Rock. The Garden while not part of a Pavilion still exists within the confines of the Museum making it an autonomous unit for mid-museum bonsai enjoyment. It’s not like we’re talking quantum physics here.

Lol! Sorry, couldn’t resist.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0113749/quotes

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just did a workshop with Danny Coffey An he was caretaker there An he specifically said that that tree was grafted onto black pine roots 400 years ago (1625) that is the info he gave me any way.
I stand corrected!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Grafting is an old technique, I believe first western mention was a German text dating to 1400's, related to grafting apple varieties. There possibly is an earlier Roman mention, but I forget details. Grafting was done in the east, at least as long as in the west. China mainly.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had to look up the history of grafting when I read that about the pine. Here’s a good source (https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/janick-papers/c09.pdf)

As Leo correctly states, it is old! Circumstantial evidence from Sumerian cuneiforms dated to 1800 BCE, Hebrew Mishna references from 200-300 BCE (interestingly, prohibiting grafting together of different tree species. Ahem, @Adair M), it was widely practiced by the Greek and Romans, and a Perisan botanist from 1200 wrote on the superstition of grafting including some interesting sexual practices to get them to take. The earliest Chinese credible evidence of grafting is in the first century BCE, but some authors speculate that it occurred 1000-2000 years earlier. Cool Stuff!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had to look up the history of grafting when I read that about the pine. Here’s a good source (https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/janick-papers/c09.pdf)

As Leo correctly states, it is old! Circumstantial evidence from Sumerian cuneiforms dated to 1800 BCE, Hebrew Mishna references from 200-300 BCE (interestingly, prohibiting grafting together of different tree species. Ahem, @Adair M), it was widely practiced by the Greek and Romans, and a Perisan botanist from 1200 wrote on the superstition of grafting including some interesting sexual practices to get them to take. The earliest Chinese credible evidence of grafting is in the first century BCE, but some authors speculate that it occurred 1000-2000 years earlier. Cool Stuff!
What are you trying to say? EVERYBODY knows you can graft Ume on everything! Especially @MarkyScott’s trees! No strange sexual practices needed. Just liberal libations of Shiners!

Most JWP with the perfect foliage are grafted. Seedling JWP have poorer foliage quality, usually.

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
I saw one person watering while I was there - with a copper can from a cistern.

I can confirm it's a team effort, but some days there is only one bonsai member on site to maintain the trees and all of the watering falls onto them. For hot days, that is 2 times a day of actual watering for many of the trees, but consistently checking throughout the day for pretty much everything. On those days, pretty much all you do is water.

I wonder if they have a team of people who work on these trees. Seems like it would be a huge responsibility for upkeep to rest on one persons shoulders. No way...no how.... would I ever even want to be responsible for even watering one of these things. They are truly awe inspiring.

There is a team of people involved with the pruning. There a handful of paid team members, but also many highly skilled volunteers. As the apprentice for 2018, I've watered every tree in the collection. At first, even watering the trees was highly intimidating, but now I view as an important responsibility that I have to ensure is done. I've also worked on and pruned many of the trees in the collection.

Last edited:

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I've been really afraid to try Hinoki... Those I've seen up close look like they're generally right on the verge of a crash. But here, a true specimen, one cared for by those who must be among the most knowledgeable, also shows signs of tip browning. It must be standard for the tips of Hinoki to brown and drop in the winter?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hinokis are wonderful trees but you have to be careful with them the joints in foliage are fragile and do not respond kindly to rough handling.

Top Bottom