Finally Spring, kind of...

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Finally getting days in the 40-50's and lows in the low 30s for the most part. Everything was pushing buds in the shed.

So this am, I moved everything outside. Bill V. made a great post as to how to deal with introducing your trees back to the outside. All conifers and decid. trees with tight buds can stay out. But any decid. tree with any opened bud, must be protected...back into the shed at nightime till we stay above freezing. Very helpful! Luckily, the ones needing protection I have on a rollable cart. Pretty easy to put back in the shed. The only tree that leafed out, and then froze and lost the new buds, was my Wisteria. I'm not worried at all about it lol

I'm going to try today, to relocate my in ground trees. Give more space, plant the low growing trees, like all those shimps I planted last spring, to the front and move taller decid's to the back so they don't block the light. It was my first time planting trees, and I didn't do a good job. Live and learn. (going to be real careful to not disturb the roots at all. And I'm curious as heck what the shimp that I stapled the roots to wood looks like LOL

Chris

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Similar temps by me too! looking forward to pulling everything out of the ground.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I put up a temporary bench inside my garage door that faces east. I would open the door on days when we were above freezing and let the sun shine in on repotted trees. Then if it was going to be cold, the temp in the garage would stay above freezing (sometimes with a little help from a milkhouse heater). It really helped me get a jump on repotting and gathering some things as well.

We still have 18 inches of snow everywhere!!!

Top Bottom