Finally trimmed my bush today.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
do you like the trunks?

I think I lose them before any appreciation can take place.

@vp999 can I "talk shit" without talking shit?

I assume you didn't build these branches when I say, I don't understand why someone would build branching on such bases.

I'd like to see the left one layered and the right one "arranged to work better". I'm seeing it angled heavy to the left, off of a "cliff", with some scraps from the "cliff" rock jutting through them root holes.

For me, the pot is too small for even one of these trees, surely for both. The white fem pot also clashes rather hard with the large gnarly roots. This is what keeps me from getting to the trunks.

The trunks for me then, are like a gift you can't receive, like a winning bingo ticket you can't cash, like a trimmed bush that.... nevermind!

Trim Trimmy....
This is where I AM talking shit.

It's hard to make out branch thicknesses, but it seems in both the before and after that the tops are much more vigorous, and still contain much more mass than below. This is a situation that nearly always disallows an "even trimming".

I'd like to see you go in and "anti-balance" this, removing much more from the top, and hopefully making a bit more sense out of the branching in the process.

In leaf the vigor seems 60/40 top/bottom.
Naked it seems closer to 75/25.

So to keep it in check, pruning should be opposite that. Removing 75 from the top, and 25 from the bottom.

There isn't one way to perfect this, but even trimmings will always make it worse.

Sorce

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think I lose them before any appreciation can take place.

@vp999 can I "talk shit" without talking shit?

I assume you didn't build these branches when I say, I don't understand why someone would build branching on such bases.

I'd like to see the left one layered and the right one "arranged to work better". I'm seeing it angled heavy to the left, off of a "cliff", with some scraps from the "cliff" rock jutting through them root holes.

For me, the pot is too small for even one of these trees, surely for both. The white fem pot also clashes rather hard with the large gnarly roots. This is what keeps me from getting to the trunks.

The trunks for me then, are like a gift you can't receive, like a winning bingo ticket you can't cash, like a trimmed bush that.... nevermind!

Trim Trimmy....
This is where I AM talking shit.

It's hard to make out branch thicknesses, but it seems in both the before and after that the tops are much more vigorous, and still contain much more mass than below. This is a situation that nearly always disallows an "even trimming".

I'd like to see you go in and "anti-balance" this, removing much more from the top, and hopefully making a bit more sense out of the branching in the process.

In leaf the vigor seems 60/40 top/bottom.
Naked it seems closer to 75/25.

So to keep it in check, pruning should be opposite that. Removing 75 from the top, and 25 from the bottom.

There isn't one way to perfect this, but even trimmings will always make it worse.

Sorce
Thanks Sorce ! I bought the tree like that a couple months ago.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce ! I bought the tree like that a couple months ago.

What are your plans for it?

The root masses must be so compact. I'd consider this a bonus and go for this.
this.PNG

If you can make concrete look really rockish, this would be a fun project. You can preform the parts going through the roots with wire and sculpt it in later. Or drop a rubber gloves fingers in from below when potting, and pour concrete into there, shaping it within the fingers then cutting off the rubber when it cures. Blah blah, I'm bored!

Sorce

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 377641

If you can make concrete look really rockish, this would be a fun project. You can preform the parts going through the roots with wire and sculpt it in later. Or drop a rubber gloves fingers in from below when potting, and pour concrete into there, shaping it within the fingers then cutting off the rubber when it cures. Blah blah, I'm bored!

Sorce
I kinda see where @sorce is going -- it IS a clever idea to ROR after the fact -- wonder if a balloon with a cup or so of cement would do the trick of easing into the gaps, maybe with a fat, smooth stone to add pressure against the other side of the balloon? (If you liked the idea.)

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

View attachment 377641

Sorce
Man..I aint got time for all that lol...I trimmed the roots about 50% to get in that pot a couple months ago. Just gonna keep it as is it. Diff pot next spring.

Top Bottom