Finding a good rock source

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been meaning to find a nice rock or two to make a rock planting but have not been able to find a good source anywhere. I know that pet/fish and reptile stores sell those lufa lava rocks (or whatever they're called) but I'm interested in an actual nice rock. Anyone with suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I' dont know why it seems so hard to find something decent :(

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been meaning to find a nice rock or two to make a rock planting but have not been able to find a good source anywhere. I know that pet/fish and reptile stores sell those lufa lava rocks (or whatever they're called) but I'm interested in an actual nice rock. Anyone with suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I' dont know why it seems so hard to find something decent :(

I usually find nice rocks at specialized aquarium stores they usually sell it by the pounds, but never at pet shop giants like petco or petsmart.

Hope that helps

Eric

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good rocks, like good trees, can cost a fortune, or can be free. It all depends on circumstances.

The rocks you see in bonsai books are almost always Japanese "ibigawa" rock. They are prohibitively expensive here in the states, IF you can find them and IF you can find any worth buying. Most I've seen tend to be on the small side and can run well over $100. The rocks in aquarium stores are usually pretty generic and have been "enhanced" with carving--usually be someone with fish in mind -- wierd looking holes, etc. They are sometimes attractive, but mostly, they're just weird and unnusual looking when placed with bonsai...

If you are patient and know what to look for, you can find good rocks literally in your backyard or wherever you go. You're looking for jagged (not smooth), uneven, but attractive forms, as well as some "age." That means look in areas where rock has been exposed for hundreds or thousands of years (not at all as uncommon as you might think). Here in Va. I have found decent large rocks lining parking lots in the Shenandoah Valley where they had been moved when the parking lot was a pasture, or along stone fencelines in rural areas...

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Mike,

Just realized your also from Chicago, have you tried looking at Old Town Aquarium at 1538 N Wells St, Chicago, IL 60610? Got this rock from there.

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric:
Great looking rock. I will have to try a local aquarium store for something like that.
Joe

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the posts so far guys. I guess I'll just have to keep vigilant and be patient.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check out stream and creek beds, there always seems to be nice rocks there.

ed

Top Bottom