Finding trident maple stock

riprap

Sapling
Reaction score
I visited Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks last week. He told me that he was not stocking trident maples at this time, and prowling through his shade houses I did not find any. Plenty of interesting, high-quality stuff though, as I'm sure anyone who has dealt with him knows.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Every one of my tridents met their demise as the result of a couple of nights around 23 degrees. I thought that they would be a bit tougher as they were dormant but not so much. *cry* Next year I will start with tridents!

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hrm. I have 3 tridents I bought from Frank last spring in Topeka and it's been much colder than 23F. My lowest recorded temp in the shed is -3F for winter and they all appear to be happily hibernated still, possible the difference in keeping the wind and sun off them?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Every one of my tridents met their demise as the result of a couple of nights around 23 degrees. I thought that they would be a bit tougher as they were dormant but not so much. *cry* Next year I will start with tridents!
Were they bare root seedlings when you received them in December? If so, it is generally best to protect them from freezing the duration of the winter. If they were established in a pot then they would not need protection from freezing. Recently repotted/potted trees are more fragile and susceptible to death due to environmental conditions. Just a thought.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Get in touch with John Green @ Green Thumb Bonsai. He's got some NICE recently-collected tridents. I'm not sure when they'll be ready to ship, but you ought to see them.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Were they bare root seedlings when you received them in December? If so, it is generally best to protect them from freezing the duration of the winter. If they were established in a pot then they would not need protection from freezing. Recently repotted/potted trees are more fragile and susceptible to death due to environmental conditions. Just a thought.

Yep Don you are 100% right. Lessons learned *sniff* It was totally my fault, ignorance on my part. Now I know :D

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Clyde,

It probably is bone dry for them to survive during the cold period. I got my from Matt O a few weeks before our low 20s cold spell. I did water them and make sure that they do not dry out. Some of them even started to leafed out. The leaves dried up and died but the trees are fine. We have two extreme cold periods (in the low 20s) in two weeks.

NN

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Eallend7,
Are you looking for small whips, or more developed stock?
We are currently lifting Tridents similar to this one.
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

Attachments

• DSC_0659.JPG
    DSC_0659.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 121
Top Bottom