finding yard material close to home

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I haven't done this in a while but it's surprising how often it works. While at a friend's house, I noticed his wife was big into landscaping. She had all sizes and shapes of shrubs. I asked my friend if they had anything that they just didn't want anymore...........something that was a nuisance. Well, that led to me getting the OK to dig a 1 1/2" viburnum or two and MAYBE a 2 1/2" pyracantha this spring. Never hurts to ask. I've found people that have a yard full of trees and shrubs often have some they are tired of.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't done this in a while but it's surprising how often it works. While at a friend's house, I noticed his wife was big into landscaping. She had all sizes and shapes of shrubs. I asked my friend if they had anything that they just didn't want anymore...........something that was a nuisance. Well, that led to me getting the OK to dig a 1 1/2" viburnum or two and MAYBE a 2 1/2" pyracantha this spring. Never hurts to ask. I've found people that have a yard full of trees and shrubs often have some they are tired of.
A few years back someone here (?) posted about a similar strategy but then using Gregs' list. Posting "Free removal of shrubs" as advertisement, and then a list of plants he would remove from yards for free. Appearently got many responses.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah, the Craig’s list strategy works well. The challenge is in contacting them and requesting photo with scale. They often don’t know the species.
I place an ad on craigs where l ask them to do this( soda can). Otherwise it can be a waste of time driving over for something too large or small.
Got lost of good practice material this way.
Good luck.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My thought was to just look in your neighbors' yards or drive around and look for yards with a lot of landscaping. Yards that are not so well kept up are prone to have plants that "took over" due to lack of maintenance. People may not tend to answer a craigslist ad, but may be a little more accomodating if you knock on their door. Could be risky nowadays, though. :eek:

Top Bottom