IMG_8661_resize.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 23

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ketoi,

Nice pots. I like your work.

I did have a couple of suggestions on the larger pot-- the big unfired one that's pictured just a few posts back--

The width is great, but it is very, very narrow. It should be about two inches deeper front-to-back, maybe more, to fill it out proportionally. This is not only an artistic thing-- such a narrow pot can look unstable--but it is also a horticultural thing. To fit a tree into a pot like that, you would have to trim off front and back roots more aggressively than side roots--that may lead to some slow down in growth in front and back depending on how much has to be removed to make the tree fit. For some collected trees with large roots in front and back, it could take some time to reduce the root mass enough to get it into a pot like that.

Lastly, drain holes in large pots should be located evenly, not just in the center. Drain holes should also be placed at the edges of the interior. They should also be larger in diameter for such a large pot. Small holes in more or less the center of such a large space can limit drainage at the sides. This can wind up killing roots if water is left standing around the edges with nowhere to go. Good drainage becomes more important horticulturally with larger pots, as there is more surface for water to stand on, more room for dips and uneven spaces to trap water, and more water to deal with.

Last edited:

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
rockm,

Thank you for the input, helps greatly when making bonsai containers. I like the drainage remarks especially, was not aware of that.

The pot you speak of is not for a tree, it's for a cactus. It was made to the client's specifications, the plant is wide (20") and narrow (10").

There's a large oval in the kiln currently, it is 18" wide x 15" (front to back) x 4in deep, does look as unstable as the long narrow pot.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ketoi,

Sorry, didn't know the big one was for cacti...The 18 x 15 proportions sound more on target for a bonsai pot.

For what it's worth, the shallower the pot, the more allowance for drainage there should be. Shallower pots don't drain as well as relatively deeper containers. Taller containers have more vertical space that gravity pulls water through. Shallower containers tend to hold onto water longer--especially big ones. Think taller container= mountain river, shallower container=everglades. Water moves at different velocity depending on how pitched the water column is...

I've got two inch deep pots made by long-time bonsai potters with central drainage holes bigger than half-dollars with nickel sized holes in each corner or radiating out toward the sides...Some even incorporate smaller wire-sized holes surrounding drainage holes so anchor wire can be passed through without obstructing the primary drain hole.

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
rockm,
Thanks for the description for drainage, the last batch of pots I added holes closer to the walls.

4631917935_a34dc7843f.jpg

and here's the best of show plant in my 22" wide pot
4570330775_e709969314.jpg

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice cackle effects Ketoi, I like them.

Cool cactus in the last one there, I am seeing more people from the bonsai side of things working with cactus as well. Last year we had Susan Amoy come in for lecture demos for suculents, she had some really cool materials, some looked quite alien. A local garden center here has a nice cactus section, I am always drawn in there whenever I go to that nursery.

Thanks for the look.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never seen one like that before,some kind of Opuntioid?

Cacti have many fans in the east,they can grow them all year round.

Mine have been watered once this year.

Uncle Chorns offers some insight into the business.

http://www.uncle-chorn.com/

Some mouthwatering Peyote,kinda like forbidden fruit to some of the worlds fanciers.
But then the false peyote,Ariocarpus,is more interesting and flowers october onwards here.

Last edited:

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Bill, Thanks!

Susan and I are good friends, attended one of her workshops here in 2001 and have been friends ever since. She has an awesome collection of bonsai'd succulents. Something about C&S that attracts us...

Klytus,
You are correct, it is Tephrocactus geometricus from Bolivia. This specimen is especially plump compared to habitat and other plants I've seen

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Your pots are fantastic! Where are you located in Northern Cali? Anywhere near the Bay Area? I am interested in checking your studio and buying some of your pots if possible.

Peace

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keith,

That large oval turned out great. It suits that cactus very well.

Keep on cracking.

Best wishes,
Paul

Top Bottom