Finished pots

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work. Your cascade has a nice form to it and the glaze is very nice. I like the broken green glaze on the rustic round. I think if this glaze was used on a grey to buff clay body you would have an outstanding pot. Nice texture around the rim too. The shallow round has a lot of visual interest with only the top half glazed. Thanks for posting.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
The green rustic is very nice. Any hints on the green crackle glaze?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like that cascade glaze and stain combo!:)

Nice contrast and elegance.

What kind of glaze is this? Is it done in an electronic controlled kiln(slow cooled)?

Rob

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the kind words.

The crackle glaze is Cactus Crawl from Coyote Color & Clay, it was dry brushed over a thin layer of their shino glaze over an iron oxide wash. The clay is grogzilla.

The shallow and cascade were made from scraps, the former used iron matt glaze over black mountain sculpture and the latter I layered the glazes and fired twice. 1 coat of iron matt was applied to 3/4 of the pot then fired, after cooling a coat of saturated iron covered the top half and on top of that another coat of iron matt was applied to the top. I really liked the result

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gray background works well with your pieces. Do you use a photo cube or studio in your home?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Heh :) I am learning as much about photography in these threads as pottery. The lighting is perfect for these pots, and the graduated grey background works well. I wonder what a tree would look like in your tent? (hint, hint)

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How about a succulent bonsai? I didn't make the pot, but I did raise the plant from a seedling.

Shooting these type of photos you need a camera that you can adjust f stop, shutter speed and white balance. Tough to do with a point and shoot, I use a DSLR.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I would like to have one of those too. Although, at $124 a pop, I am going to have to keep using my black felt. Must save for a bigger kiln you see. Priorities, priorities;)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How about a succulent bonsai? I didn't make the pot, but I did raise the plant from a seedling.

Shooting these type of photos you need a camera that you can adjust f stop, shutter speed and white balance. Tough to do with a point and shoot, I use a DSLR.

The lighting is excellent. I really like the nice soft even glow. I normally keep a point and shoot in my apron pocket while working on my trees, so the photos are normally just quick shots. However we have a DSLR, so I might have to consider my own little light tent to take my photo quality up a notch or ten.

bonsaibiker

Seedling
Reaction score
Really nice stuff there Ketoi...I especially like the crackle glaze. Doin good.

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks biker,

Crawl glazes are my favorites, both mid and low fire types

Cactus crawl

Low fire lava with red accents

Blue crawl on a sandstone body

Black lava

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As you can see I like crawl glazes, here are 4 more examples

I applied it in vertical strokes to give this squatie pot the appearance of height

The trick to keep the crawl on the bottom of the pot is fire them upside-down

This one warped a bit

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Faceted bowl from a previous thread

I do a lot of this style pot with scraps, then test glazes on them

Not a pot but a tea bowl

Like the glaze but not sure if its the shape or the body color that is putting me off

Another use of leftovers

Testing a green matte on a dark body

Scoop attempt

Should have glazed the feet

1st attempt at a shallow bowl, way too thick

A bit shiny but I like the way the 2 glazes mixed

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
th_IMG_8379.jpg
I like the glaze on this and the pot appears atylish and well built.

th_IMG_8378.jpg

I like this one too, but I can see the joint at the corner. If you miter your joints, the seams will disappear.

Top Bottom