Finished trees ??? Yeah Right !!!

Reaction score
Anyone out there find that as their trees develop and begin to get to that stage
where they are ready to show, that the amount of work that one needs to do
to them seems to double, if not triple ???

Yikes !!! and all this time all I ever heard folks talk about was what do they do
when they finish a tree...

I'll tell you what they do... probably twice as much as what it took to get it there !!!

So there's re-wiring to maintain it's shape, which by the way is usually that much harder,
seeing that you now have a lot more foliage to try and work around, cleaning out old
and dead foliage, trimming foliage, pinching foliage,trying to encourage new foliage,
balancing out the tree's growth, seeing that it never fails that the tree wants to grow
stronger on the top, which requires thinning out heavier branches for those that are finer,
more wiring, now one has to redesign the apex seeing that most of the foliage at the top
was attached to those heavier branches, then there's repotting, root trimming, soil changing,
pot selecting, which seems to be like a pair of shoes, that you need different one's for
different occasions, pot cleaning, weed pulling, moss fixing, stand selecting, accent and
scroll choosing... convention planning... award winning, not to mention tree bragging !!!
Then you have to build a shelves to put those trophy's on, worry about you tree dying,
bugs infesting, branches from above falling, cat's peeing, someone stealing, and the list
goes on and on and on and on and on!!!

Man !!! Kinda makes you wonder why we don't just enjoy them in those plastic falling apart
filled with weeds, crappy soil, nursery pots... At least with them when they take a tumble
off the bench, one just picks it back up... put's it back in the pot... and presto, one's off
to have a beer !!!

I guess when you become a pretty princess, it takes a lot to maintain those good
looks !!!
:cool:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I never plan to "show" or win any "prize" so therefore FOR ME things are a lot more simple and I just strive to have nice sitting areas and ENJOY the trees. I do love to look at epic work but for the most part the back of my head is usually saying "damn, how many people in an organization worked on that"...

All that being said - it is what it is, angle and approach varies greatly per person ;) The best time to plant any tree was 20 years ago but the second best time is TODAY! :cool:

Reaction score
These are the kinda things one thinks about when they
have been doing nothing but wiring the same tree for the
past two days !!!

Thought I would take a brake and type this bit of non-sense
before I got back to it !!!

Good News though !!! The end is near ...
Hopefully I will be finished tonight !!!
:)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What happened to, "The only finished tree is a dead one"?

I like that adage. And humility.

I really got a good chuckle out of that one - reality says I play with a minimum of 100 plants(used to be closer to 200) :p

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this is why experienced people thin out their collection. When I only had to wire 5 limbs it was easy, then it turned into two days work to wire out everything. The 100 growth points to pluck on my boxwood has become 500 growth points. 20 minute job became a three hour job.

I have begun the phase of getting rid of things after years of gathering things. It's all good, but there comes a day!!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've noticed this in others too. As their collection becomes more advanced they weed out the mediocre stuff to focus on fewer but better trees.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yup.. I exhibited a tree last year. Spent about 5-6 years training it overall. However, the entire year prior to the exhibition was preplanned and dedicated to that one day.

Rob

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can always hire someone to do the show prep for you... I know some professionals offer this service.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am moving a 4 trunk Doug fir to our next place and honest I was thinking after a 3 years just send it off to a pro like Pall. Not to be obsessive but just to have something unusual and well done without worrying it. My Wife and I enjoy what we have but I think for some stock it is a "pro" option :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can always hire someone to do the show prep for you... I know some professionals offer this service.

True but where's the fun in that? (Empty) Bragging rights and collecting ribbons? Not my cup of tea. (just personal opinion as always).

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
True but where's the fun in that? (Empty) Bragging rights and collecting ribbons? Not my cup of tea. (just personal opinion as always).

Nobody here has as much time as you do - LMAO :rolleyes:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It depends on what you're after... if you want the bragging rights then for sure do it yourself. :) I could see myself doing some of both down the road. I'd like to have some that are all my work but I also don't mind enjoying other peoples work on trees that I own.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

When and if you ever get to a point to enter a tree in a competition and judges or peers find your work exemplery and worthy you just might find out how good a cup of tea tastes......

Kokufu is not my cup of tea either. Easy for me to say since I will never show there. See how easy that is when you give up.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When and if you ever get to a point to enter a tree in a competition and judges or peers find your work exemplery and worthy you just might find out how good a cup of tea tastes......

Kokufu is not my cup of tea either. Easy for me to say since I will never show there. See how easy that is when you give up.

As usual, my point is missed by a mile (sadly). Is my English that bad? Honestly now.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think that anyone who does bonsai, maybe excluding those that have 1 tree that they are keeping alive and happy with, should definitely considered exhibition. Whether it be in 1 year or 10 years. Now hold on, before some get their crab apples in bunch lol:D, I'll explain why. Exhibition is a good way to have fun and gain experience. Talk to others and meet other people in the art. Some have less experience, some have more. No matter what happens at the exhibition, win or lose, you will always walk away with something more than what you came there with. Whether it be some knowledge, some good advice for future exhibition etc. You might meet other enthusiasts and start your own club or maybe find people who have access to areas where you and collect trees.

Also, art should be exhibited. If all the great artists never displayed their work. Think of how much of a loss we would have. To not have any desire to show a tree at some point, not only deprives you of a great experience, but deprives others of seeing your work. Can you see histories greatest paintings, whether old or modern, just sitting in someone's cellar.

Rob

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it can also be a good way to push yourself to get better... if that's what you want. I love exhibitions; I've never been in a serious one but when I've attended them I've always learned and met great people.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since there are different levels of exhibitions, I think it is good to start at the club level first. Club shows are viewed and judged by people you know and may be more comfortable with. Some club shows aren't judged at all and are just exhibitions. If you do feel comfortable at that level, and if you are so inclined, then show them at a larger venue (or not). Most club members that don't show trees that I have talked to are afraid of criticism. It is really no different than posting trees on this site and getting feedback. I believe that feedback/criticism has made my trees better. I don't look at it as a "my tree is better than yours" situation, but when someone tells you that you have a beautiful tree, it somehow validates all the work and time you put in. when someone suggests a change to your tree, it is an opportunity to see the tree through a new set of eyes. I like to see what different artists or just weekend bonsaists (not a real word) have to say about what I have done with my trees. I don't always follow rules (or advice) and tend to have my own style. I have received what I believe was good and bad advice from club members as well as artists in the field. That being said, it is really an individual sport and needs only to appeal to the artist. Input from others is optional. If you enjoy just tooling around with trees in private in your backyard, that is awesome! I did that for 20 years before I took a lesson or joined a club.
My trees are much better now!
Tona

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Getting back to Sawgrass's original point, yes, keeping and maintaining a finished bonsai is much more intensive than developing bonsai.

And, there's this:

In Japan, they rarely try to keep trees at "show condition" all the time. They tend to choose a particular show, and then starting a couple of years in advance, do whatever is necessary so that the tree "peaks" right at that show.

(Kinda like training a race horse to be in peak condition right at Kentucky Derby time.)

Some of the deciduous trees that have incredible twigging cannot maintain that condition continuously, so after the show, the tree is thinned heavily so it can grow out again in 3 or 4 year's time.

And they have "show" pots and "bench" pots. The moss is only put on for the show, and then removed.

We see the pictures, and we make the assumption that the tree looks like that all the time.

Top Bottom