Firethorn help.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
O.K. Who can help me with this mess. Got this Firethorn about three years ago, as seen in the first picture. The first couple of years I fed it a few times and it dropped it's leaves both winters. So this year I've been feeding monthly and it has been going crazy. I have it under lights about 16 hours a day. Well now I have a mess. It puts out sucker shoots like crazy. I would like to cut back to the thicker branches but I'm not sure if that would be too much and harm it. The trunk is 3/4", and it's 9" from the rim of the pot to the top. Any ideas? And lets keep the laughing to a minimum please...lol.
:D

New

Front

Right side

Back

Left side

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Chub! welcome to BonsaiNut! May you stay long and prosper! But you should watch out. We eat liberals here.:D

Did you keep this plant indoor for 3 years? If you did, then you must be doing something right. It looks fine. If you want to, a little pruning should be safe now. But if it is weak, then waiting a few more weeks for the new branches to harden up before pruning would be ok too. Styling wise, it looks ok, so there is not much to do right now. Just enjoy it the way it is. It is a decidous plant, so it should drop its leaves in the winter. Pyracanthas tend to drop its leaves when stressed out too, like when it is over- or under-watered or in changes of lighting condition. It should live outside in full sun for most of the year though. I wouldn't keep it under artificial lights, that's a waste of electricity! Good luck to you!
Si (from southern California)

Last edited:

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Si...It's been an indoor "tree" since I've bought it, except a couple months it was out last summer. But that's when the moss really took off and grew. It's just easier for me to keep it inside. I'm leaning toward cutting the back branches way back like it the pics below.....Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom