Firing Unglazed Containers

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Weighing pots to ensure they are losing no more water is a foolproof way to never blow anything up.
We should be doing this before bisque too!

Sorce
Do you weigh all your pots?

I find it hard to believe one goes as far as to weigh each one of their pots to track their weight before getting them in the kiln. There's other things in life I think that's more important.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am artist.... And will spend as much time with my pieces as I feel necessary.

I make clay to express myself, artistically, and hopefully share my art.

If you find your motivation becoming MONEY... I feel your art will suffer.

I have seen it before... And so have you.

Last edited:

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Any that bring doubt.

I think the knowledge is more important to have than the worry.

Sorce
How can you get accurate numbers of any value? What is your benchmark? If you weigh your pots, every minute they are loosing moisture and drying. Unless you are building in the rain?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How can you get accurate numbers of any value? What is your benchmark? If you weigh your pots, every minute they are loosing moisture and drying. Unless you are building in the rain?

Well, I think he’s saying that once the number stops changing, then you know it’s dry.

Personally don’t feel like that is necessary because I’m not in any rush to fire anything. But I guess if you’re trying to fire it as soon as possible after building it then this could be a way to make sure it’s totally dry.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

I was gonna say this..
Well, I think he’s saying that once the number stops changing, then you know it’s dry. .

...but you got it covered!

Because if the numbers are changing... It does NOT matter what the weight WAS. (Any (lightening) change indicates loss of moisture... Loss of moisture indicates drying is still taking place)

Y'feel me?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For me bone dry is bone dry. If a person has been playing with clay for a while they can determine when their pottery is bone dry. There's really no need to weigh.

And from my experience the more you touch greenware or bone dry pieces before getting them in the kiln to bisque you greatly increase the chance of damaging them some way or some how.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, once it stops losing.

I agree nothing should be rushed.

It's nice to know these things though to get an understanding.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For me bone dry is bone dry. If a person has been playing with clay for a while they can determine when their pottery is bone dry. There's really no need to weigh.

And from my experience the more you touch greenware or bone dry pieces before getting them in the kiln to bisque you greatly increase the chance of damaging them some way or some how.

"Oven sessions" negate the need for weighing.. and (in the words of Stone Cold Steve Austin) gauran-DAMN-tee they are dry.

But you are right.. after a few times, you get to "know, by feel" the weight of familiar bone-dry clay bodies.

For me, once they FEEL bone dry... It's oven, then glazing, then firing.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Personally don’t feel like that is necessary because I’m not in any rush to fire anything. But I guess if you’re trying to fire it as soon as possible after building it then this could be a way to make sure it’s totally dry.

This is another good point... Greenware, here sits around for a good long while anyways, as My production rate is fairly slow.

Actually, one time, I stored pieces In the storefront's basement... And did not take into consideration any RE-hydrating that may have occurred...

BOOM!!...TING!!!

...there is the story of the only two pieces I ever 'sploded in a real kiln.

🤣🤣

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

For regular pots and such this pretty well sums up my feeling. The exception would be sculptural and heavy pots with thick walls. In sculpture I have made pieces that took well over a month to dry. I have a heavy pot now that has been drying about 5 or 6 weeks. I think it is about ready now.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've speed dried pots in a kitchen oven before at low temps, but it's risky because structural cracks can occur when there's two different wall thicknesses that meet.

zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've speed dried pots in a kitchen oven before at low temps, but it's risky because structural cracks can occur when there's two different wall thicknesses that meet.

Agreed! I have seen this occur as well. But not in a while.

Starting with the door open for the first hour or two has helped me even out unsure, thick, or pieces with varied walls (like you were speaking of). Also the first half of the "session" I normally have a wooden spoon propping the oven open about 1/2"... Juuuust in case.

Top Bottom