First Acer, online nursery, tree health and late spring care

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I ordered this Sango Kaku from an online nursery to start practicing with acers, horrid graft as expected but some future potential from air layers.
967B03AB-6944-4A29-8248-A5588D4D5697.jpeg
A few of the branches are darker from what I’m assuming is die-back? What could cause this and is it reason for concern?
15F70277-A4CA-49BC-A8D7-A77409735534.jpeg
5F286B32-69AB-4FF0-BDB6-0A64572D4C8D.jpeg
Main trunk junction which is main cause for concern:
7A093D09-2DB0-4576-8E0C-D532394146F1.jpeg
It’s outside now with day temps 40-50 F, night temps hovering above freezing but a few 28-29 F nights forecasted next week, is a few hours of freezing temps a night likely to damage the tree in its current state? It’s in the nursery pot it came in until temps are a little warmer, added some sphigmum on top for a little extra insulation. Zone 5b-6a

Looking for some advice from some of you Acer experts! Thanks in advance.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Dieback is pretty normal when you prune a japanese maple, but I'm seeing some branches going dark that hasn't been pruned, with buds on the tip.
I'm not sure at all, but could this be a root problem? Fungus?

I don't know about sphagnum for insulation, I never used it, but I think it is supposed to stay moist for long periods of time.

Anyways, japanese maples can take can endure freezing temperatures if it's not over a long period of time.

I hope someone could identify the problem and that your tree does well.

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Juanmi! Yes the dieback on unpruned branches is concerning, not sure if the nursery freshly potted before shipping and the dieback is due to root trauma or if it’s something else, doesn’t look like much pruning has ever been done to the tree.

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like Oregon zone 8a/8b, I expected Oregon to be a little closer to mine, probably should have looked closer beforehand, this discoloration was present when it arrived yesterday tho.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
dieback on small twiggy branches isn't uncommon going into spring. It could've been freezing temps, combined with shipping trauma. Hard to say but not worth worrying about. The tree looks healthy. Buds are all closed so no issues being outside in freezing temps. Put it on the ground if it goes below 28 ish to help the root temperature not fluctuate too rapidly in that cold

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Looks like Oregon zone 8a/8b, I expected Oregon to be a little closer to mine, probably should have looked closer beforehand, this discoloration was present when it arrived yesterday tho.
Please remember that not all of Oregon is zone 8a/8b. I live in NE Oregon in zone 5-6

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sango kaku are fairly prone to fungal problems, my dad had two in the landscape and they always had some degree of anthracnose spots on the leaves. My friend has one planted outside of his house in a protected area and i noticed quite a bit of die back on it this spring. Makes me think this is a weaker cultivar. But in good news, between those three landscape trees I haven't been able to spot the graft union, so perhaps if this tree grows large enough the graft will disappear.
I often notice when I buy JM from websites they show up with dark ominous weak spots that go away under my care. I thnk mass production leads to whatever illness that is. I usually do my best to cut those parts out and keep the trees away from my healthy prebonsai until they leaf out and pass the eye test

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh an additional note, this cultivar does produce seed that seems to be pretty similar to the parent variety. If you let this grow out it might be a good source for future forest material

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for all the advice! It seems to be doing just fine outside on the roof this week, despite a few dead branches there are lots of healthy ones. I’ll post an update in a few weeks, hoping to attempt an air layer once the first growth has hardened off. Hoping I can pick up some more JM once nurseries open up!

Oz_Fox

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Please remember that not all of Oregon is zone 8a/8b. I live in NE Oregon in zone 5-6
I was hoping it was more NE but unfortunately it is NW-W 8a/8b, luckily as caffeinated pointed out buds are still closed, I think it will be alright!

Top Bottom