first air layer cut how’s it looking?

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
is this deep enough? and will the scar from an old branch gonna affect the process

Attachments

• 5C700DA0-8C81-4089-9D9C-B1A476F2F582.jpeg
    5C700DA0-8C81-4089-9D9C-B1A476F2F582.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 70
  • AF43AA5A-E844-41BB-818A-19B668EB962A.jpeg
    AF43AA5A-E844-41BB-818A-19B668EB962A.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 60
  • 0B4C5F5E-A51B-4CC1-80E3-E409BE486EFE.jpeg
    0B4C5F5E-A51B-4CC1-80E3-E409BE486EFE.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 60

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks good and the area you chose should root nicely!
one thing that bothers me is if i should’ve use this junction or not but i was thinking of trunk chopping after air layer soo does it really matter? idk, what y’all think? i like the junction that i first cut better

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For me when I do air layer, I pick the place where I like the base to be.. i.e multi-trunks, mother daughter or the bend of the trunk from where the base is. Trunk chop later is fine if that is known ahead when you pick the location to air layer.

Last edited:

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For me when I do air layer, I pick the place where I like the base to be.. i.e multi-trunks, mother daughter or the bend of the trunk from where the base is. Trunk chop later is fine if that is known ahead when you pick the location to air layer.
ok i’ll proceed with this junction then

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
BAMM

Attachments

• 9463BEAC-2FEC-4720-AAE8-1A7E8576F8D9.jpeg
    9463BEAC-2FEC-4720-AAE8-1A7E8576F8D9.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 58

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
is this deep enough? and will the scar from an old branch gonna affect the process
What type of Maple is that? Looks like a Bloodgood Japanese Maple? (Hard to tell from the pics) If so- not the best subject for Bonsai… Just a heads up. Long internodes.. fairly large leaves, do not respond that well to training… Can be hard to keep them heathy if if you work the roots as hard as needed to get them into show appropriate containers.

Fine as landscape trees or trees you plan to keep in a large pot as like a “patio tree” or something… Not IMPOSSIBLE to make a bonsai out of I am sure but I have always had issues and always read of others having similar issues.

Just my experience- best of luck!

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What type of Maple is that? Looks like a Bloodgood Japanese Maple? (Hard to tell from the pics) If so- not the best subject for Bonsai… Just a heads up. Long internodes.. fairly large leaves, do not respond that well to training… Can be hard to keep them heathy if if you work the roots as hard as needed to get them into show appropriate containers.

Fine as landscape trees or trees you plan to keep in a large pot as like a “patio tree” or something… Not IMPOSSIBLE to make a bonsai out of I am sure but I have always had issues and always read of others having similar issues.

Just my experience- best of luck!
damn that would’ve been good to know beforehand, yes it is a bloodgood. that’s fine tho this tree isn’t a priority to me or anything it’s in my brothers yard so i said why not pop my cherry with it haha

i have better choices to air layer, and i learned a lot from this too

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
damn that would’ve been good to know beforehand, yes it is a bloodgood. that’s fine tho this tree isn’t a priority to me or anything it’s in my brothers yard so i said why not pop my cherry with it haha

i have better choices to air layer, and i learned a lot from this too
I mean they are pretty trees! Especially when grown on their own stock.. But the thought is they are not as vigorous as the green varieties usually, maybe can’t take the training as well, and again those long nodes.. but besides that, if you get it to root and keep it healthy you can still make a nice tree!

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I mean they are pretty trees! Especially when grown on their own stock.. But the thought is they are not as vigorous as the green varieties usually, maybe can’t take the training as well, and again those long nodes.. but besides that, if you get it to root and keep it healthy you can still make a nice tree!

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yea i’ll try still none the less whatever happens happens.

there’s this weeping cherry and an okame cherry tree( i think) that’s leafed out but still have little flowers left. is it safe to air layer now and just pick the flowers off of that branch or wait a week or 2?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

yea i’ll try still none the less whatever happens happens.

there’s this weeping cherry and an okame cherry tree( i think) that’s leafed out but still have little flowers left. is it safe to air layer now and just pick the flowers off of that branch or wait a week or 2?
It should be fine to start now- I am no soecial expert on cherries vs any other tree but Spring is generally the best time to try to root something- via cutting or via air layer.

clip a few twigs off the trees you want, stick them in pure perlite, and see what happens. You will be surprised at what you can root!

When these twigs root, move them to some small pots, feel free to twist them up a bit when repotting.. Let them grow a few years.. Rinse repeat. That is what I have done the past few decades or so, and I have more trees than I want or need today even after selling a ton. Find even a small specimen of the trees you like, make cuttings and next thing you know you will be swimming in cool trees!

What type of tree do you find most attractive when you look at pics online?

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It should be fine to start now- I am no soecial expert on cherries vs any other tree but Spring is generally the best time to try to root something- via cutting or via air layer.

clip a few twigs off the trees you want, stick them in pure perlite, and see what happens. You will be surprised at what you can root!

When these twigs root, move them to some small pots, feel free to twist them up a bit when repotting.. Let them grow a few years.. Rinse repeat. That is what I have done the past few decades or so, and I have more trees than I want or need today even after selling a ton. Find even a small specimen of the trees you like, make cuttings and next thing you know you will be swimming in cool trees!

What type of tree do you find most attractive when you look at pics online?
yea i plan to air layer and also take cutting from them so i’ll probably start tomorrow if i have access.

uhh the trees im focusing on to propagate this spring are okame cherry, weeping cherry, p serrulata, crab apples and various junipers. i plan to make a forest and to carve said juniper branches

j maples also, whatever i can get my hands on really. i recently got some seedlings in a clump, a mikawa yatsubasa and a kotohime

ooh and i have access to a burning bush might air layer a branch just cause

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ok. so ima use this thread for an update on all my propagation for the season. how are these air layers and cuttings looking? any pointers or anything i should be aware of? and can someone help my identify this prunus, looks like a okame or kursar.

i need help identifying the white prunus also. and this size branch is classified as semi-hard right? i plan to take a few cuttings from it next week

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.22.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.22.40 PM.png
    609.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.22.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.22.50 PM.png
    783.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.23.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.23.16 PM.png
    802.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.23.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.23.27 PM.png