First air layer failer, what to do?

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi, I have a fairly large lilac that needed a trim this spring so I tried out a few air layers on it. One of them recently started having yellowed leaves so I checked it and there's no root started. I'm afraid the other 3 will be similar, is there anything I can do to help make roots grow?

20220809_203216.jpg

Thanks
Salcomine

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
Put the medium etc back on and keep waiting?

I think the roots are about to come.

Where are the other layers relative to that one?

Is the plant and the layers getting plenty of sun / warmth?

I can’t see any leaves above the branch?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whats the characterisitics of a good looking callus?
White color, bubbly appearance. Shiny is good. Some yellow, purple or brown is OK, but it shouldn't be over a 20% of the total. Somewhat solid in appearance, like molten plastic.

If it's grainy, crumbly, like wet sugar, it's bad. The plant is then just reproducing cells without the goal of making organs.

Green is OK too, if you're interested in starting from a single cell, instead of a layer.

If it's brown, it's fighting something or dying or already dead. Vitamin C and charcoal can help soak up the bad exudates but usually it's a bad sign.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
White color, bubbly appearance. Shiny is good. Some yellow, purple or brown is OK, but it shouldn't be over a 20% of the total. Somewhat solid in appearance, like molten plastic.

If it's grainy, crumbly, like wet sugar, it's bad. The plant is then just reproducing cells without the goal of making organs.

Green is OK too, if you're interested in starting from a single cell, instead of a layer.

If it's brown, it's fighting something or dying or already dead. Vitamin C and charcoal can help soak up the bad exudates but usually it's a bad sign.
Excellent explanation, thank you for this.
Re look at the picture the OP posted, the picture answers your question.
Thanks there, Captain Obvious

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks there, Captain Obvious
If you were expecting a short story like some that write on here, that's not me. Why do you need me to give you a detailed description when the picture speaks for itself.

You asked.....I answered. With smart remarks like that next time don't ask.

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
I clipped this guy off the tree cause half the leaves fell off in the heat and the rest were yellowing, the other layers show heat stress wilting and bit of discoloration. Here's one of the others right after I did it back in the middle of June. Maybe I'll throw some tinfoil over them.

Screenshot_20220811-063135_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom