First Air Layer of Red Maple in Front Yard

Dank Piscean

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
20220422_161228.jpg20220421_135225.jpg

It's through bonsai that I discovered what "air layering" was so I thought I'd give it a try on this Red Maple I have in my front yard. I believe its a bloodgood and there's a couple others on the same and neighboring blocks since they seem to be popular here. I love the color they give during this time of year and would really like one of my own especially if I can say I air layered it myself. I ended up doing two just to better my chances of success. I did a lot of research beforehand and bought these propagation pods off Amazon to start.

20220418_125639.jpg

I used spagnumn moss that had been soaked in water for a couple hours as a medium to keep the inside of the pods nice and moist but not completely dripping.

20220419_182833.jpg

After stripping the bark and scrapping off the cambium layer, the pods attached firmly and seemed pretty air tight but I wrapped a sandwich bag around each one along with aluminum foil to keep the sun from heating up the inside too much. Oh I also put a generous brushing of powder rooting hormone along the cut and just above too.

20220422_161526.jpg

I'm really hoping it takes for at least one of them but I'd happily take them both if they're successful. Fingers crossed!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice! Looks good. I Just got some of these same air layer pods and Am excited to try out. Good luck.

Top Bottom