First air- layer.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Today is my first day as a member. I hope I have not made a mistake. I live in northern California and I started an air layer three weeks ago. I hope this wasn't a mistake. I know it is late in the year, I just got overly excited to do it for the first time. Can any one help.

Attachments

• IMG_20190830_181036713.jpg
    IMG_20190830_181036713.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 97

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Let me start with, Welcome to crazy!

First thing we need to know is your location so we can give better advise for your climate. You can add it into for info on the side. (Ok its late, you did say northern Cal.)

Next, would be do you know the type of tree you are working on?

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I live in northern California in the Foothills below the Sierra nevadas at about 1200 feet in elevation. The tree I'm trying to air layer is a Japanese maple.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Usually air layers are done in the spring and separated in the late summer or early fall depending on root growth. Having said that, this may still work. Leave it on through the fall and winter. Provide the layer with more insulation if possible to keep any vulnerable new roots from freezing. You could put aluminum foil around it or something. Also you could place the tree near the house for protection or even put it in an unheated garage when it enters dormancy. Good luck 👍

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the nuthouse!

You will find that a healthy japanese maple can get roots in as little as 4-6 weeks. So do check for roots in early october. Depending on your local climate (Do you get deep frosts?) you can decide to separate then, or wait until in spring the buds start to swell.

Only if you get hard frosts do you need to protect the layer. Roots do not die from a little frost.

Make sure that you do not put the plant at too warm a place for winter; Temperatures should hover below ~45F to keep the tree dormant.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Be patient, it has only been three weeks right? Just keep it moist and check back in week 6.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
August 31 to October 11 is almost six weeks...

I checked Penn valley (from your profile) weather averages and it says your winters rarely get below 33 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrapping with aluminium foil might not even be necessary but you can if you want. I'd wrap some clear plastic around the whole thing though to keep the humidity up inside. Also if you replace the black electrical tape with the clear plastic all around you'll be able to see if roots are growing through the moss without hour disturbing the layer. Seal the bottom and top of it with the electrical tape.
Do you know what variety your maple is? I can't tell if there is a graft down there near the base. Some varieties air-layer better than others. Give it time. This isn't a race and it won't hurt a n u thing to keep the airlayer stuff there longer.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When can I separate an air layer? How many roots should there be? How long should they be?
How much of a challenge, how much disappointment do you want?

Check on it every week, say, and make sure the rooting medium you used (sphagnum?) doesn't go dry. Re-dampen as it becomes necessary. For the rest of the 167 hours and 55 minutes of every week, FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO, until at least June.

Last edited:

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I have an air layer from last spring 2019 that didn't take but has shown great progress so far this spring there are two small established roots from last year. And 4 large white roots from this year that are starting to grow although they are only about 2 or 3 in Long. Should I continue to wait through the northern California summer for those new roots to increase in length in size?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have an air layer from last spring 2019 that didn't take but has shown great progress so far this spring there are two small established roots from last year. And 4 large white roots from this year that are starting to grow although they are only about 2 or 3 in Long. Should I continue to wait through the northern California summer for those new roots to increase in length in size?

Yea I would leave it until late July/August

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Dont be afraid to peek on it in a month though just to check.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Just wait, be patient. You want lots of roots, not just a few.

It is pretty common for air layers to take more than 16 months to fully root. I have had air layers take as long as 3 years to succeed. Patience. Just keep it moist, and plan on checking in August, best time to separate is as the heat of summer ends. So when you no longer expect many more 95 F or warmer days, when night time temperatures start falling, in my area this happens middle of August, but I don't know when it cools off by you. That would be the time to separate the air layer. Sept or October would probably be the right time.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
On a side note, I am going to try growing maples from cuttings. I work all day so I am unable to water constantly throughout the day to keep the soil moist. can I place the small cutting pots in a flat with a low reservoir of water around the base of the pots 2 keep them moist throughout the day?

Top Bottom