First attempt at a Literati style

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
About a year and a half ago I bought a tree on the spur of the moment, never a good thing when you're still only a few year into bonsai and especially when it's a tree that does not back bud like a Hinoki cypress. It was a very tall and very one dimensional tree with most the branches on the sides giving it a very flat look. I posted some pics of it a year ago here and was given the advice to make it a literati style. But at the time I thought I knew better and I tried to make it do something it just would not do and have been very unhappy with this tree for the past year and almost gave it away a couple times.

Now that I have been around here for a few years and learned to listen to what more experienced people have to say, I decided to stop trying to force the tree into doing what I wanted, and just let it have a style that suits it better. So I went ahead and did some styling on it today and gave my very first try at a literati style tree. Removed some lower branches, wired the ones I kept downward much more, and wired a few back and forward some so that it no longer has such a one dimensional flat look to it. Not exactly 100% happy with it yet but I do feel I actually like it now and no longer view it as a tree don't like to look at like it was before.

Steve

Pic of how it was a 18 months ago when it was very tall and flat looking.
cypress1_zps2xkuzjhc.jpg

This is a year ago where I just had no idea what I was really going for with it, easy to see why I was not happy at all with it.

cypress5_zps4d4x7cor.jpg

Here's it is today after some work. Now much shorter and hopefully closer to a literati style in the future.

cypress3_zpsnepywsll.jpg

cypress2_zps2wey34x7.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think the majority of the trunk has to be bare, to be anything like a literati, i could be wrong but going by research and observations the foliage should be sparse and limited to the apical area, give the impression of a tree 'hanging on' but there are variations. your tree looks more formal upright atm. im going to try Literati style with an Oak, hence my interest;)

Last edited:

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did quite a bit of searching and found various pictures of Literati online and in my books... some were very spare and bare like you mentioned, then some were 1/3 bare up the trunk and branches angled down but a little heavier foliage, so I went more for the later from what I found. Some of the ones I liked in the books were what I would consider just more of a slant or informal upright but they were listed as "Literati". So maybe a bit of both? Just going by what I found in my books, but then again seems some of my books show the same style as different names for some reason so it keeps me confused:eek: Better than it was before though so long as it's a step in the right direction is what I'm after ;)

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lots and lots better!! Lots of extra branches and foliage too. Not a bad thing. And your skills and approach are growing along with your trees. When your a hobbyist, (myself, not sure how you view yourself), that's kind of the point. At least that's how I approach it. Personally, I don't have one as they seem to be a little difficult, and I suspect I don't have the chops!!:p:D:D:D:D:D

I like it, but don't forget, I post a lot of beer pictures!!!!:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Removing many branches made a large difference.

Is the pot that big for a reason?
Can the trunk be bent a bit?

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Lance, I'm at least glad I didn't give it to my buddy like I was thinking this spring lol

"When your a hobbyist, (myself, not sure how you view yourself)"- Yup that's me as well. I just enjoy spending time working on my trees. I'm under no false impressions that I'd ever have something show worthy, for me it's just about taking steps forward each summer and enjoying my trees in the garden more than anything.

barrosinc- That was the pot I put it in last year which looking back is probably way to deep in the first place, didn't realize it at the time. I do want to get it into a smaller pot but will probably wait till next year to do that most likely. I'm not opposed to bending the trunk a bit if it will help. What did you have in mind?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks a lot more dimensional.

I like it!

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good, big improvement! I agree that keeping the branches you have, and studying how you would like to style it in the future. Good start dude!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
barrosinc- That was the pot I put it in last year which looking back is probably way to deep in the first place, didn't realize it at the time. I do want to get it into a smaller pot but will probably wait till next year to do that most likely. I'm not opposed to bending the trunk a bit if it will help. What did you have in mind?
Just a bit more movement, it seems a bit straight.

Chris Swink

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
About a year and a half ago I bought a tree on the spur of the moment, never a good thing when you're still only a few year into bonsai and especially when it's a tree that does not back bud like a Hinoki cypress. It was a very tall and very one dimensional tree with most the branches on the sides giving it a very flat look. I posted some pics of it a year ago here and was given the advice to make it a literati style. But at the time I thought I knew better and I tried to make it do something it just would not do and have been very unhappy with this tree for the past year and almost gave it away a couple times.

Now that I have been around here for a few years and learned to listen to what more experienced people have to say, I decided to stop trying to force the tree into doing what I wanted, and just let it have a style that suits it better. So I went ahead and did some styling on it today and gave my very first try at a literati style tree. Removed some lower branches, wired the ones I kept downward much more, and wired a few back and forward some so that it no longer has such a one dimensional flat look to it. Not exactly 100% happy with it yet but I do feel I actually like it now and no longer view it as a tree don't like to look at like it was before.

Steve

Pic of how it was a 18 months ago when it was very tall and flat looking.
cypress1_zps2xkuzjhc.jpg

This is a year ago where I just had no idea what I was really going for with it, easy to see why I was not happy at all with it.

cypress5_zps4d4x7cor.jpg

Here's it is today after some work. Now much shorter and hopefully closer to a literati style in the future.

cypress3_zpsnepywsll.jpg

cypress2_zps2wey34x7.jpg
I like it. Not as a lierati though. A full crown will make all the difference on this one. JMO

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it. Not as a lierati though. A full crown will make all the difference on this one. JMO

Thanks. I'm hoping it fills in a bit more up top down the road. It scared me last year when some of the inner foliage died off but from what I read that is somewhat normal for these from the sounds of it. So going to maybe take barrosinc's advice and get some heavy wire this weekend and see if I can put a bit more movement in the trunk and then just let it be till next year and see what comes of it.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the majority of the trunk has to be bare, to be anything like a literati

Correct:D! However last pic shows great improvement from beginning even if not literati. If keeping more foliage need exists to grow bigger trunk with one or more sacrifice branches;).

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just had no idea what I was really going for with it

Interesting:confused:. Since almost first tree personally have had at least "general" idea what it was planned to be. Bland tree can be developed but broken, bent, twisted trees offer greater interest and possibility unless doing formal upright or broom.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting:confused:. Since almost first tree personally have had at least "general" idea what it was planned to be. Bland tree can be developed but broken, bent, twisted trees offer greater interest and possibility unless doing formal upright or broom.

It's a figure of speech. Meaning at the time when I was still very new to the hobby I "thought" I knew what I was going for, but looking back now a couple years later I realize what I thought I knew and what I was really doing were two very different things.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To me, and if I can rely on what my masters told me, this doesn't look like a "literati": the trunk is too straight. I think that you can still wire it to give it some movement, 5 to seven breaks or curves before the top.

Then, the first two, or even three branches should go in my opinion.

cypress3_zpsnepywsll.jpg

If it were mine, I would perhaps even go further and remove the first branch on the left then wire and twist the upper part...

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the rendering AlainK, I might just do that next year once it is the season, I like the way that looks a lot.

Top Bottom