first attempt at deadwood, metasequoia

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The top of this young metasequoia died in spring on a hot dry day, probably because it's in a small pot. But to my surprise, more leaves came out at the bottom, so I made a deadwood feature of the top, and today put on the second coat of lime sulfur. I think the little tuft at the top looks silly, so I'll try to take it off and just taper down. Also I've been wiring down the leaves, now developing into branches, and needs that again... Any advice appreciated.IMG_8481.JPG

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m not sure I’ve seen your posts before and welcomed you aboard, but ifI haven’t, Welcome Aboard!

Interesting start! Very similar to trees in nature in Edge areas.

At this point encourage as many lower branches as feasible, while trimming back the top branches, except for a new leader. This will thicken up the lower trunk, increasing the taper. It will take a number of years, so keep at it until you see a marked difference between the lowest area and the top.

The tree is going to naturally want to build upwards so keep pruning off the leader as it starts thicken and training new ones in the process. Otherwise the top will fatten up, slowing progress.

Cheers
DSD sends

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thankyou for this great advice. Do I let the new leader grow up taller than the top of the deadwood? I have a few more of these metasequoia, grow reallyfast.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, but when it starts to widen cut it and train another up. I usually go through two a year one from last, then chop it and grow the next. Sometimes I chop that one in the same year, sometimes not.

It’sa judgement call once you have done it enough.

Good luck!
DSD sends

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok, I think I see the idea. I may as well switch it to a wide low grow bag or a big wide pot in a pan with water, to help it take off, when spring comes.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I‘d up pot as needed. Root work similarly, although you might just ground layer the as things progress. I don’t use grow bags myself.
Good luck
DSD sends

Top Bottom