first attempt at juniper

cheezywhiz

Seed
Reaction score
First post!

I'm relatively new to bonsai. Been working with succulents a lot since I have huge jade bushes in my yard and I'm drowning in large cuttings every time I do garden pruning. I started dabbling with other types of trees. I was at a nursery yesterday and saw a juniper that looked like a nice specimen to try a turning into a cascade style.

The two main branches were coming out perfectly horizontally, so I'm thinking I'll tip it forward and to the left when I repot it.

• How did I do? Any tips to improve it?
• The top is probably too long, but should I keep it to help the tree thicken?
• Is it too late in the season to put this in a bonsai pot?

This video helped a lot. I would never have known what to do otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2812.jpg
    IMG_2812.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 85

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can train upwards but realize these naturally lay out low to ground? Procumbens=reclining;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can get 3 of these at home depot for that price...... sometimes. Not because you spent too much on that one, but because we'll recommend getting 8 more, then the difference becomes quite a bit more! Find that sale ......make it 12 more.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m a beginner but the middle branch would look better if the top turned to the right or maybe left

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Looks like a great start, good job!

First things first, scrape the loose top layer of nursery soil off and then cut the top rim of the nursery pot down to just above your new soil level - this will give you (and us) a better view of the nebari, very important component when doing this type of initial styling.

This will also give you more room to add movement to the main cascade trunk which currently looks to be shooting out relatively straight.

Keep everything long to develop some more girth over time.

Add your location to your profile so we can see what climate you are in, and if you still have time to get it into a good sized development container and better soil. Here in Houston we are nearing the very end of juniper repotting time.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As far as styling, I think your apex needs to come down and left just above your cascade. Doesnt look right where it is. Your top branch of the cascade should form your apex, not a separate branch. At least not on this tree, in my opinion.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as styling, I think your apex needs to come down and left just above your cascade. Doesnt look right where it is. Your top branch of the cascade should form your apex, not a separate branch. At least not on this tree, in my opinion.
The conditions in which the tree has grown to create the cascade would not allow an apical branch to grow straight up.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For a first stab it is pretty good

But I think you let the pot define your tree. :)
Look carfully at the first part of the cascading branch. Arrow-stright to get over the edge of the pot. Instead, best to trim the pot, and let the styl define the tree, rather than the pot.

Top Bottom