First attempt at Literati

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my beloved Ginny, an Eastern Red juniper that I dug 2 years ago this month.
Wondering some thoughts you all may have.
I dug her from a clayball marshy area off the side of the road.
Brought home in a plastic bag and encased her in Fuller's Earth in a regular flower pot for a year, and basically forgot her for a year.
Did some pretty extreme structural wiring and cutting last year after building her a grow box. 20211205_084943.jpg
20200523_141042.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beloved good☺️. Two low branches, sections of trunk between bends very straight. Could add interesting bends to these?

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beloved good☺️. Two low branches, sections of trunk between bends very straight. Could add interesting bends to these?
I was wondering about this: do I use a trunk splitter, raffia?
And in using raffia, do I keep it constantly moist?
The trunk is extremely stiff and hard to bend.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The trunk is extremely stiff and hard to bend.
Hooboy! Personally do not have juniper so must defer to these concerning bending stiff tree. Thin bark you have so raffia likely needed and heavier wire than already present;).

Graeshadowe

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hooboy! Personally do not have juniper so must defer to these concerning bending stiff tree. Thin bark you have so raffia likely needed and heavier wire than already present;).
Raffia have I, heavier wire I do not.
But branch splitter I have in toolkit!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Raffia have I, heavier wire I do not.
But branch splitter I have in toolkit!
Personally splitting seems drastic/hard on tree. Not sure how splitting heals or if best option. Heavier wire relatively cheap. Considered notching instead? Not sure if can be used on Juniper.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And she looks so good in her new home; smoother bends, more lean.
If it where me I would remove the top leader down to that branch going up as a jin. Then remove the lower branch all together. Wire that top branch as the new leader, Also I’d crate Shari to add the interest it lacks with movement going down the trunk. E70840B8-FDC4-4BBE-B856-A615394A0EC9.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Raffia normally used wet so more pliable. Both sharper, smooth bends good to use for variety, interest;).

Top Bottom