First attempt at shaping a Spruce

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As the title says. First time styling a pre-bonsai spruce. Initially wanted to do an upright formal, but the tree ended up having a fork in the trunk near the top I didn't see when I got it, so I had to improvise. First picture is the front of the tree. Tell me how bad I did and what I should have done differently 20210125_124431.jpg20210125_135449.jpg20210125_142347.jpg20210125_142354.jpg20210125_142402.jpg20210125_143150.jpg20210125_143155.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree itself is giving you an EFF! Though that could stand for Funky Flannel.

I think it's best to always opt for one of two trunks on these, as they rarely have 2 worth keeping, and you begin introducing taper.

These always seem good in the store but rarely pan out. At least not to the stately image we had in our head at the store, not quickly. So I think it's important to Trash that idea fast and begin looking at other REAL options, rather than trying to contort it into what it isn't and doesn't want to be, or, can't be with what it has.

This image makes me want to use 3 only. Because it is pliable enough to work properly, not force, and it still makes a good tree. An old, very tall tree.
Capture+_2021-01-25-16-19-08.png
2 is all junk and useless IMO.

The other option would be to grow 1 out into something more squat.

I don't think any combination of all or any 2 of 123 can be had realistically.

Not that you should cut any more off now.

You gotta flexercize your Future Vision by looking through some old progressions. See what is there that isn't yet there.

Sorce

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So maybe lose the 1 and 2 branches and just focus on a more formal style for 3 over the next few years? New to pre-bonsai pine and spruce, so any advice would be valued, haha. Thanks!

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Styling spruce I find difficult (but I am a beginner). The problem is that you get many branches exiting the trunk from the same point. I also don't think they back bud very readily. So make sure that you leave as much green as close to the trunk as possible until you know which direction you might take it. I agree with sorce and check out some progressions.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so you basically took a straight trunk and tried to make it look like a windswept tree.

Windswept trees are one of the hardest styles to pull off well, most dont

IMO, it would have been better if you had left it as a formal upright (also hard to pull off but easier than windswept) which is what that long straight trunk is screaming to be.
If you had wired out branches on both sides of the trunk, you would have a pretty convincing start

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
yea. deffently should have tried to make the formal look work. Live and learn and what not, haha.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yea. deffently should have tried to make the formal look work. Live and learn and what not, haha.

Yea most of us have made these mistakes. It happens but you learn something at least
Do better next time

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Advise - check out Bonsai Mirai’s website and look for the videos where Ryan follows a beginner’s attempt with a nursery tree....from buying it to initial styling and wiring. YouTube has a few of their videos too.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fact that this looks like a dwarf Alberta spruce means it will mean you have to go about it a bit different from styling other species of spruce, including the regular p. Glauca.

These trees have overly ascending branches and usually back bud only near the ends of the branches. I don't have any of these anymore, but I remember that getting the branches to set at horizontal or below can be very frustrating. Try to look for a style where ascending branches and not a lot of interior growth is less of a problem.

I don't have the patience or creativity to make a nice tree of an Alberta Dwarf, which is why all my spruce now are englemann or regular whites.

Top Bottom