First attempt at windswept.

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! lots of good movement. I have a Little Leaf Linden I should do this with. What's the species?

I went on a critique of trees once with Boon (at a PSBA conference in Olympia) where he criticized a windswept DECIDUOUS. He said that because deciduous lose their leaves in the winter when the winds start blowing, you would really only see a coniferous tree as a windswept in nature. But perhaps you would see a "wind blown" which is a tree in the moment of the wind blowing through it's leaves.

Still, I think windswept is a great form for any tree.

LindaPat

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice! lots of good movement. I have a Little Leaf Linden I should do this with. What's the species?

I went on a critique of trees once with Boon (at a PSBA conference in Olympia) where he criticized a windswept DECIDUOUS. He said that because deciduous lose their leaves in the winter when the winds start blowing, you would really only see a coniferous tree as a windblown in nature. But perhaps you would see a "wind blown" which is a tree in the moment of the wind blowing through it's leaves.

Still, I think windswept is a great form for any tree.
It’s J Maple that grew up randomly in my yard, then I did my first air layer on it. Didn’t take on one side, and i’ve often thot of tossing it, but it was my first air layer! I guess i’ll have to put a fan on it when the leaves come in! For that moment “when the wind blows” as you say.

Calnicky

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a couple of those yardadori JM's and they're actually coming along nicely after being planted out again in a raised bed for a couple of years. I'll look for pictures of them when in leaf.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Good choice of style with the material available.
Branching looks good bare but not sure how they will all go when crowded with leaves.
I also would not have considered making windswept with Japanese maple as, to me, they are naturally a tree of the sheltered valleys and tend to hate wind. I guess somewhere in the world there are some windswept Japanese maples but I've never seen one for real.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Might consider making the chop area raggedy and chewed up looking.

Top Bottom