First Attempts At Bonsai Styling

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
B3309512-F4F7-415E-9CBD-16C7118087AF.jpeg4E838848-9ABE-449F-AA47-9F67523B644F.jpeg1F1C8C4E-18B3-4E2F-B7C5-5CB39CF4EE41.jpeg3BC386CC-A8F5-47C8-BF6C-2561E3D378D7.jpeg
So my first two were inexpensive nursery stock because of the likely survival rate not being so great. A juniper and an azalea are the poor victims. Being only a couple months into this bonsai journey, like many others, I just wanted to get my hands into it. Oh boy have I learned I made a lot of mistakes thanks to this forum and you guys. And I am still making them clearly. Sooo much more to learn! I know I did way too much at one time among other things. 😬 I repotted and pruned back both of them and wired the juniper. Ouch!! So for now they’re in the shade and being watched closely. Perhaps the bonsai gods will be gracious and allow at least one of them to survive. If not, I have lessons learned and a bit of hands on experience. As one of my mentors keeps reminding me, patients Paula, you have to have patience. I have all the patients in the world normally, I’m just so excited and it’s sooo addicting. Of course feedback is always welcome so I can navigate better paths going forward. Cheers !

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not yet. I worked that one April 6th so do you think it’s safe to move it out of the shade? Fertilizer yet?
If it were me I wouldn’t give it any fertilizer until I started seeing the new growth. If the foliage feels healthy you might be able to get it in some filtered sunlight or just move it into the sun for a couple of ours a day for now. At the end of the day it’s experimental material for you right?

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If it were me I wouldn’t give it any fertilizer until I started seeing the new growth. If the foliage feels healthy you might be able to get it in some filtered sunlight or just move it into the sun for a couple of ours a day for now. At the end of the day it’s experimental material for you right?
Cool, thank you for your direction! Yes totally experimental and totally fun!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just got these 2 Mugo pines at my local garden center, after seeing a bunch of the club members with pines of some kind, they were $5.00 each so figured no real loss if they revolt. One I haven’t done anything with, and the other I potted as soon as I got it.

Attachments

• FDB7EE20-2CA2-4664-8787-8CC8D471EC95.jpeg
    FDB7EE20-2CA2-4664-8787-8CC8D471EC95.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 53EE9A4E-C029-4610-A220-11999D749794.jpeg
    53EE9A4E-C029-4610-A220-11999D749794.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 24

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just got these 2 Mugo pines at my local garden center, after seeing a bunch of the club members with pines of some kind, they were $5.00 each so figured no real loss if they revolt. One I haven’t done anything with, and the other I potted as soon as I got it.
I like it ! That was my thinking as well. Mine were inexpensive so giving it a try was worth it. I’ve often thought about grabbing a mugo but was a bit intimidated lol You are more brave than I. Let’s hope our little guys survive 😎

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it ! That was my thinking as well. Mine were inexpensive so giving it a try was worth it. I’ve often thought about grabbing a mugo but was a bit intimidated lol You are more brave than I. Let’s hope our little guys survive 😎
Hopefully they do. The one is still in its original nursery pot, thinking about bringing it to next months club meeting before doing anything with it.... at least one would likely survive then, since there’s quite a few guys that know pines there. I had that black bonsai pot laying around empty so figured i’d Put one in it and see what happens. Been a week and still looks good so......

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hopefully they do. The one is still in its original nursery pot, thinking about bringing it to next months club meeting before doing anything with it.... at least one would likely survive then, since there’s quite a few guys that know pines there. I had that black bonsai pot laying around empty so figured i’d Put one in it and see what happens. Been a week and still looks good so......
I look forward to seeing what your other one looks like after your meeting! My Juniper has been doing well for a couple weeks now. I could be wrong, but it’s my understanding it could take months or even a year or so before we know if they’re actually going to make it. At this point I guess it’s just about care and patience and then repeat…LOL

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I look forward to seeing what your other one looks like after your meeting! My Juniper has been doing well for a couple weeks now. I could be wrong, but it’s my understanding it could take months or even a year or so before we know if they’re actually going to make it. At this point I guess it’s just about care and patience and then repeat…LOL
It will be interesting to see. Hopefully they both survive. They both are cute little trees. Be bringing my Chinese elm, and 2 maples in again tonight because they all have leaves and weather is talking about frost and freeze possible tonight and tomorrow night in Chicago. After an 80 degree weekend.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It will be interesting to see. Hopefully they both survive. They both are cute little trees. Be bringing my Chinese elm, and 2 maples in again tonight because they all have leaves and weather is talking about frost and freeze possible tonight and tomorrow night in Chicago. After an 80 degree weekend.
Yep I dealt with that same kind of weather in Colorado, but I just relocated to California so I don’t have to deal with that anymore thankfully. We safely could not put anything outside or plant anything till after Mother’s Day at least. My friend said they just got snow yesterday in the town that I was from. 😣 Protect those trees!!

Top Bottom