First blast of winter

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Well winter showed up in Colorado this morning. I snapped this picture real quick to share with you all. I dont think its going to stick, but they were calling for 2", so we will see. Bad thing is my bonsai trees havent even started to change colors yet. The others though are starting to turn.

2013-10-04 08.13.07.jpg

heres one of our hawthorn tree in the back yard.

2013-10-04 08.12.52.jpg

Dusty

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder how Dan is doing up in Wyoming, they are likely to get a foot or two depending on location. Seems a bit early for that much.
Where are you in Co dcraft?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is quite a collection! But...brrrr not ready for snow just yet. Curious...is there a good book explaining tilting bonsai as you have done there to the left of the photo? I know many use it for cascade...but am curious if a book is out there on giving a good foundation of how one goes about doing it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How do you get around in Colorado with that tiny car :confused:

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Cadillac, I only did that for drainage. We had been getting quite a bit of rain, and I just never put it back to the way it should be. Its funny for a state that is always dry, its been a very wet year.

Judy, I was wondering about Dan too. I am in Greeley, which is northern colorado, where all the flooding has been. Ive been very fortunate but many others have not been so lucky.

Grim, I did loose my patrol car in the flooding, and that one was looking like my best option for a while.;)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Staying nice and warm (inside) up here Judy. Not 12" yet, but I'll post a picture in a bit. :)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pictures as promised.

20131004_141449_zps59c6b1ac.jpg

20131004_141455_zps4bee8f81.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a nice blanket you got there Dan, thanks for the pics, stay warm!

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Dan you guys got way more than us. Thanks for the pics. My daughter was in tears over the snow melting.

Im seeing forcasted temps for us in colorado at 24 for the low. I will probably take the elms and maples in the shed tonight.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow Dan, were the trees ready for this? What have the temps been like over the last few weeks?

Rob

I hope so Rob. There's not too much I can do about it. -- We have had some freezes over the past couple of weeks, and a lot of low's in the 30's. Also everything is on the ground (and less hardy trees in the garage). And it's snowing quite a bit but not all that cold yet.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I hope so Rob. There's not too much I can do about it. -- We have had some freezes over the past couple of weeks, and a lot of low's in the 30's. Also everything is on the ground (and less hardy trees in the garage). And it's snowing quite a bit but not all that cold yet.

I'm sure the relative early cold you're experiencing won't harm your collected natives one bit. A bigger issue may be 1-2 feet of heavy, wet snow perhaps damaging branches, but will probably melt before any real damage done. By the way, thanks for the photos...I really miss big snow storms, but I DON'T miss the cleanup...shoveling and knocking the snow off my trees after 2-3 feet of accumulation was a real drag.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
dkraft, as I always say in these situations " Better you than me !" ;)

ed

Deadwood

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wow...looks cold...in was in the 80s here...too much snow for my blood. Im cold looking at it.

Top Bottom