First Bonsai bench

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi all,

just wanted to show my new 2-tier bonsai bench that I constructed to showcase my limited collection (not so much of a collection as potted plants at this point;)).

Thanks!

Attachments

• D7E6B1DF-A36C-4916-8187-3EA2B8B17FFA.jpeg
    D7E6B1DF-A36C-4916-8187-3EA2B8B17FFA.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 7E029343-6784-47D0-ADC7-10CCEC325277.jpeg
    7E029343-6784-47D0-ADC7-10CCEC325277.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 236

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see the ceramics on the top, keep em from blowing onto them blocks.

Or fill that block area with more nursery pots!

Make a me nervous! (Luigi Voice)

Sorce

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all,

just wanted to show my new 2-tier bonsai bench that I constructed to showcase my limited collection (not so much of a collection as potted plants at this point;)).

Thanks!

What type of wood? And, did you weather treat it?

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s redwood and I think it’s treated but I’m not sure. Should I coat it with protectant? Thanks

I really don't know. I was hoping you knew what you were doing 😅, but the bench does look good.

We used some cedar for raised planting boxes with some linseed oil for coating two years ago. They kept their color for about a year but started going grey without adding any extra coating.

So do what you will with that anecdote 😁

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's nice that you have that wall there to act as another, smaller shelf, and elevate the benches to eye-height!

Personally I let rot-resistant woods that are great for outdoor use (like cedar and redwood) go 100% natural, without finish, to weather as they will. I've got a weathered, grey cedar birdfeeder that's been outside for 20 years and is still perfectly solid. People like the natural patina on pots, so why not benches too?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How far back is the top row? It can get pretty tiresome reaching to full arm length to pick up a pot, not to mention the joint and back strain when lifting a weight at full reach. Benches should be designed for maximum comfort and ease of reach. For good health and even growth trees really need to be rotated every few weeks to get even sun on all sides. I've found if the benches are not easy to reach it is just too easy to procrastinate and leave the trees in the same spot for too long for best health.
Lower benches tend to have even more restricted light behind the trees so it is even more important that those trees are rotated regularly.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's nice that you have that wall there to act as another, smaller shelf, and elevate the benches to eye-height!

Personally I let rot-resistant woods that are great for outdoor use (like cedar and redwood) go 100% natural, without finish, to weather as they will. I've got a weathered, grey cedar birdfeeder that's been outside for 20 years and is still perfectly solid. People like the natural patina on pots, so why not benches too?
Thanks so much! I really like your idea of natural weathering of wood.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How far back is the top row? It can get pretty tiresome reaching to full arm length to pick up a pot, not to mention the joint and back strain when lifting a weight at full reach. Benches should be designed for maximum comfort and ease of reach. For good health and even growth trees really need to be rotated every few weeks to get even sun on all sides. I've found if the benches are not easy to reach it is just too easy to procrastinate and leave the trees in the same spot for too long for best health.
Lower benches tend to have even more restricted light behind the trees so it is even more important that those trees are rotated regularly.
You are absolutely right with respect to ease of reach. When I tried to rearrange my pots, I did find it hard to reach back. Fortunately, I have about 2 feet of space behind the bench. I was able to squeeze through easily and rearrange from the other side. I will keep this space free of clutter in the future so that pots can be moved with relative ease. Thanks again for your observation.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think we all start out thinking 'That's not too much trouble, only a minor inconvenience. I'll make sure I do it even though it is a little inconvenient' Then gradually we find excuses to put off the task - 'I'll climb up there and rotate them tomorrow' or 'It won't matter if I miss just once' and soon you've justified not doing it at all...........
I know because I've been there and done that - many times.
Just saying, for all those who are planning shelves or stands, try to minimize inconvenience because what seems minor can soon stop us from doing what we should.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think we all start out thinking 'That's not too much trouble, only a minor inconvenience. I'll make sure I do it even though it is a little inconvenient' Then gradually we find excuses to put off the task - 'I'll climb up there and rotate them tomorrow' or 'It won't matter if I miss just once' and soon you've justified not doing it at all...........
I know because I've been there and done that - many times.
Just saying, for all those who are planning shelves or stands, try to minimize inconvenience because what seems minor can soon stop us from doing what we should.
Thanks for the input. In my case, it’s really not a big deal. I have enough space behind and I can easily access my trees.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice Job!
I’m always looking for new designs! I need to build a series of free standing &/or interlocking shelves of varying size next, so your post was timely.
Here’s my latest effort, 10’ two shelf design vs the 8’ three shelf I designed earlier (see my logo). Cedar horizontals with pressure treated for three uprights, bamboo background with a misting system for each bench.
Cheers

Attachments

• A3FD9EA0-20AF-4120-B112-1901628B7E24.jpeg
    A3FD9EA0-20AF-4120-B112-1901628B7E24.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 115

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice Job!
I’m always looking for new designs! I need to build a series of free standing &/or interlocking shelves of varying size next, so your post was timely.
Here’s my latest effort, 10’ two shelf design vs the 8’ three shelf I designed earlier (see my logo). Cedar horizontals with pressure treated for three uprights, bamboo background with a misting system for each bench.
Cheers
Wow! That three tier bench looks stunning! Thank you for the inspiration.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice Job!
Cheers

Nice. Now I want to build a bench 😅

Top Bottom