First Bonsai (Cypress Gold Mop)

t_fareal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I've been lurking on this site for a little while and decided the best way to learn is to jump in. So I went to my local nursery and picked one of my favorite plants.

I've always loved the Cypress Gold Mop it's an evergreen Bush with green and yellow leaves..

This is my first attempt at anything Bonsai so all comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Nice example of the color of the leaves
20190103_120718.jpg

My tools
20190104_080315.jpg

Cleaned and wired
20190104_090312.jpg
20190104_090259.jpg

Thanks in advance...

t_fareal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Now what do i do with it?????????

i want to put it back outside, but do i need to put any fertilizer in?
water?
bury the pot outside?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd bury the pot in a garden bed for now. I would Not have worked it now. It's not a great time to be working like this on trees.

Don't need any fertilizer. It's fine for now.

BTW, this is Chamaecyparis pisifera--false cypress. Not easy bonsai material, since it does NOT backbud on old wood readily or at all. That means it's not easy to build branching and if you remove all the green growth, the tree will croak.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/golden-mop-false-cypress.17019/

t_fareal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'd bury the pot in a garden bed for now. I would Not have worked it now. It's not a great time to be working like this on trees.

Thanks for the response... I was hoping that since I didn't disturb the roots I could prune it back and put it back outside without much penalty...

Guess we'll know soon enough lol

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Because you did not disturb the roots it does indeed have a chance of surviving. However, pruning without penalty would have been to prune less than 25% or 35% of the foliage at one time. From the looks, you removed near or over 75% of the foliage. This is a major trauma. But Chamaecyparis pisifera is a reasonably vigorous shrub or tree, it might survive. Put it outside, leave it alone and see what it does. You might be best letting it go until 2020 or longer before doing anything else, including repotting.

t_fareal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Good point. .. I buried it yesterday... so I'll definitely leave it alone..

Got a juniper I'm gonna work on next..

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Google "Cypress Gold Mop Bonsai" and click on images. You will see some examples. Most are grown in some sort of weeping form. I had one 25 years ago that looked nice. Sometime in the last year I saw one that was larger and very nice. I wish I could find a picture.

Top Bottom