Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0094.JPG Hello,
Never had a Bonsai before and never posted in a forum before, but i read forums regularly and I have read tons of threads on this site!
So to the Bonsai! My friend and I started growing Dawn Redwod or aka metasequoia to plant as wind breaks in our yard. Planted over 250 from seed and successfully walked away with about 150. We now have a few extra so I decided to Bonsai my very first Bonsai!
I am posting to hear advice and to log my Dawn Redwood with people who might take interest. I will continue to update as I learn and make progress. I will probably ask many questions in the near future.
I have big plans in the spring, but for now, I just repotted in organic potting soil and want to let the tree grow a little before I start chopping and training.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 9

Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
***Update*** My plans are to establish a large trunk by putting it in a larger pot with actual potting soil and chopping a good chunk of tree off the top in the spring. With that chunk I cut off, I will replant and try a more formal Dawn Redwood Bonsai.
Any tips on how to get my goals with the informal Bonsai?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know what the big plans are, but this isn't ready for prime time as a bonsai yet. Trunk is too thin for much of anything at this point.

FWIW, I would keep an eye out on the trees that are in the ground. They will most likely develop into something worthwhile much more quickly than this containerized tree will.

Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
I understand. In the spring I plan to dig up a few trees in my yard. I've already spotted a mulberry, a spruce, a white pine, and an oak I would like to dig up. This Dawn Redwood just gave me the idea and motivation to start in the Bonsai hobby

Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
Also, Dawn Redwood's grow really really fast! This tree is less than a year old and is the smallest of 150

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, Dawn Redwood's grow really really fast! This tree is less than a year old and is the smallest of 150
But not fast enough. It will be at least two years (probably more, if you keep topping it and keeping it in a pot) before it can be workable as a bonsai.

DR leaves and branching habits make it difficult for small bonsai sizes. Most DR bonsai are pretty large, like trunks over three inches in DIAMETER, not circumference and over two feet tall. That is because to visually support sometimes awkward angular branches and drooping foliage, the trunk has to be tall and branches spaced more widely. Smaller DR bonsai tend to look odd.

Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
I agree, but my goal is to keep it small. By small I mean not much taller than 1 foot and try to stay under 2 feet. Attached is a similar style I would like to achieve with my end goal. From reading how people achieve similar styles, it seems as if they kept chopping it and let it grow only about an inch or two a year or they planted outside and dug it up for a quicker results. I am in no hurry so I plan on keeping it in the pot

Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
Sounds great to me. My son is about three now and I want him to see the progress and maybe one day pass it to him. While I let this grow my focus will be on other bonsai. Currently in the mail I have six olea olive trees. I am by no means looking for a quick results. I am more or less looking for something to pass on to my children

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds great to me. My son is about three now and I want him to see the progress and maybe one day pass it to him. While I let this grow my focus will be on other bonsai. Currently in the mail I have six olea olive trees. I am by no means looking for a quick results. I am more or less looking for something to pass on to my children
not to be a pain, but why the urge to grow something "to pass on to your children?" Your son is three. Has he shown any interest in bonsai? I can almost guarantee by the time he's a teen, he will think bonsai is pretty darn lame since dad's doing it. Growing a tree for someone else is pretty presumptive and doesn't do much to further YOUR interest in bonsai. Do it for yourself and, if you're lucky, your son will get interested when he gets older.

It may also interest you that some of the family-owned traditional bonsai nurseries have kids who mostly don't like bonsai much because they've been around it all their lives, but are expected to do it.

Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
This is why I I never post on forums. Everyone thinks they know your situation best. Let's talk about the Dawn Redwood and not my personal situation with my family, how about it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You realize before you even typed "Hobbyist" you were already into a life long obsession right?

Crazy is way more than a Hobby!

Welcome to It!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is why I I never post on forums. Everyone thinks they know your situation best. Let's talk about the Dawn Redwood and not my personal situation with my family, how about it?
Oh for crying out loud, you brought up your "personal situation with your family" Your "situation" isn't uncommon. I have a similar personal situation with my family. I have children who are completely uninterested in bonsai even though they've been around it for more than 20 years since they were babies.

I was merely pointing out that a three year old is probably going to develop its own interests. Passing bonsai on to children is a topic that has been explored here in the past.

Hobbyist

Seedling
Reaction score
I brought up my personal situation because you constantly bombarded me with assumptions and I was forced to explain myself. Just want to talk about the Dawn Redwood. F**k off prick.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
@rockm need to pump the brakes dude, Every thread you keep coming off as borderline harassment. Just something I've noticed lately. I will not respond to anything past this point in this thread.

@Hobbyist Congrats on taking the plunge into bonsai. You views will change if you keep on track with this amazing hobby. Welcome!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Before assuming that someone is out to get you, perhaps consider for a moment that they are trying to help?

The truth is that the path you are suggesting is not the path that most of us would choose. It is great that you are interested in bonsai, but there is a big difference between bonsai and just growing a plant in a container. Trust me, I have plenty of plants in containers that make me really happy but I acknowledge they will never be bonsai. The dawn redwood bonsai you pictured, if not collected in the wild, was probably allowed to grow freely in a field until it was about 15' tall, at which point it was reduced and moved into a container. You can't get from point A (your tree) to point B (the bonsai pictured) without completely changing your approach. I'm not trying to be negative by saying it - I am just trying to help you out.

I also tell people when they join the forum - there isn't a mistake you can make that I probably haven't already made.

Top Bottom