First bonsai pot for semi cascade spruce

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Engelmann spruce, ollected in 2011, initial styling last spring. Was in an Anderson flat earlier today. Noticed a very healthy root system and lots of mycorrhizae. Not the final pot and would appreciate any thoughts, virts, advice on a final pot in a couple years. All thoughts welcome. Caliper is 3.5" and height is about 18".

Patrik

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great material once again, obviously well collected and cared for.
I feel like it's probably hard to appreciate the tree and the styling by photo. My feeling is that I'd like to see more of the tree in there and that perhaps the design can be simplified.

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Agree with the above, it seems to have an interesting trunkline so like to see more of that or are you trying to hide something?. I guess you are still waiting for backbudding too, the tree seems healthy so should be ok
Nice one

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When did Dav4 go to Colorado?

Lol!

Simplified? Thats a good word for it.

It would be nice to see that one branch hiding the rafia section and a bit more main trunk....just brought down.

And.....kick Dav4 oughta Co!
Ditch the drop branch!

Sorce

I'm sayin slab till somebody stops me!

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahaha guys. Indeed some branches are simply for the interim. Still trying to sort out how much foliage removed causes regression. It's a very complicated piece of material actually. Perhaps I'll take some pics from other angles if people are interested?

All, many branchletes were wired, but no terminal buds and going to fail, hence inevitable simplification will come.

Wire, good advice, thanks.

DJT, thanks man. It's got back buds all over.

Sorce, rafiaed branch moved quite a bit already, but maybe more to come. I think you're slab-happy, but I like it. Probably try to keep the drop branch just cuz it annoys people.

Patrik

Top Bottom