First Bonsai - Serissa

JaneC

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello, I’m new to this hobby and went with this serissa. I know this is probably a bad idea, but it spoke to me and was $6. I’m sure my wiring attempt is atrocious, but here she is. Been with me for a week and is flowering. Any words of advice will be greatly appreciate. I’m glad to be a part of the group!

Attachments

• 802F026B-E0FC-41FE-9387-7FA525D4AFDB.jpeg
    802F026B-E0FC-41FE-9387-7FA525D4AFDB.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 53

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No need to apologise for trying. No doubt the bonsai police will be knocking to rap your knuckles for some issue with wiring but you'll get used to that. Thick skin is required to be an out of closet bonsai grower. IMHO if it works it is OK. Hard to see detail in that pic but it looks Ok to me.
Just a warning that serissa can be temperamental. Sometimes they sulk after a change of location and conditions so if leaves start to fall don't panic. Provided you maintain suitable soil moisture it will soon recover and grow again.
Don't be frightened to prune. Most trees will try to grow longer and longer. Regular pruning helps make the branches fill out and become bushy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may become sad looking out that nice window to home.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Full sun outdoors and be very careful not to overwater. They're most picky about watering and being moved. Put it outdoors and leave it there. Water when it's still very slightly moist, if it's wet don't water. Most serissas in pots die by drowning.

Enjoy your new serissa.

JaneC

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No need to apologise for trying. No doubt the bonsai police will be knocking to rap your knuckles for some issue with wiring but you'll get used to that. Thick skin is required to be an out of closet bonsai grower. IMHO if it works it is OK. Hard to see detail in that pic but it looks Ok to me.
Just a warning that serissa can be temperamental. Sometimes they sulk after a change of location and conditions so if leaves start to fall don't panic. Provided you maintain suitable soil moisture it will soon recover and grow again.
Don't be frightened to prune. Most trees will try to grow longer and longer. Regular pruning helps make the branches fill out and become bushy.
Thank you! It seems to like it on my screened in porch so far. I live in Maryland and it can get pretty hot and humid in the summer… and I bought it from a nursery up the street from my house so I’m hoping the conditions are pretty similar.
Full sun outdoors and be very careful not to overwater. They're most picky about watering and being moved. Put it outdoors and leave it there. Water when it's still very slightly moist, if it's wet don't water. Most serissas in pots die by drowning.

Enjoy your new serissa.
Thank you! Full sun even after wiring?... I heard that you should keep the tree in a shady spot for a month after wiring. It gets filtered afternoon sun from my oak trees currently and has good wind protection on my screened in porch.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Am not sure why you felt compelled to wire it. Serissa branches will stay flexible for many, many years. Given your location I would have wanted to get as many hours of sunshine for growth before beginning the process of bringing it in for winter. You'll need grow lights to keep this plant going then.

Since you'll need to move the plant when you start to winter it I'd probably leave it for now and then next spring you may want to introduce it to more heat and sunshine. It's a subtropical plant and those are the conditions the plant craves for best performance.

Enjoy it and don't worry much about it.

Top Bottom