First Bonsai Show Advice

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty excited to attend the Michigan all-state bonsai show at Meijer Gardens tomorrow and Sunday. Despite falling deep in the the bonsai rabbit hole the last two years, this will be my first show.

Curious if anyone here has advice, tips and tricks, where good values lie or do not, at these shows.

I have many trees in training, but only 2-3 that are close to final styling. I’m considering making a purchase of something in the “nearly final” realm for some quality mature material.

Any thoughts or experiences to share are appreciated. Cheers and happy spring.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Dont be surprised at prices, because money in bonsai = time. If you want something that only needs refinement, you probably wont find as much of a deal as a pre-bonsai. Trees can get 1k + really easy.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I expected as much. Is there normally pre-bonsai material or are most shows confined to finished material?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I bought a nice pot from Linda Ippel at the show near me last year. It was reasonably priced.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Mark Fields has good pre-Bonsai material, First Branch is Todd Schlaffer, a Ryan Neil student from Colorado, who will have collected material, some well-styled, and some rough stock. Flower Market shows up on FB auctions regularly, but I can’t remember what they sell.

Know what species (pl) you’re looking for, then buy for a good base, then trunk. Don’t go for strange/unusual. Avoid big flaws. Pre-Bonsai will usually be a better “value”.

I disagree with the idea that a vendor is not a friend. They should be. It’s a small world, and I have yet to meet a dishonest or unhelpful vendor at a Bonsai show.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can vouch for The Flower Market and Ken's World of Bonsai.
Both have raw to almost finished bonsai at good prices.
Don't buy the first thing that catches your eye.
There will be lots of trees to choose from.
Also all the attending gear,from books to shovels to soil components.
Personally just starting out I would go for a few decent pre bonsai instead of one tree that's "almost finished.
You get more trees to work on.
You get better at bonsai with them. I don't really have someone near me to teach me so the trees are the teachers.
You will worry about them less. At first because they cost less but as they develop you can build a tree to your liking that will make you proud.
You can also sell them at a later date for better trees as your tastes change. And they will.
The main thing going to a show is to have a good time.
Look at all of the trees on display a few times. Every time you go around I bet you will see each tree better.
Take pictures.
Maybe take in a demonstration.
The vendors are also very knowledgable about bonsai,don't hesitate to ask them questions. Kurt and his wife from the Flower Market are excellent,nice people who are very helpful.
Good luck and have a great time.
You may even bump into fellow nutters there.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are seriously there to buy, get there early. The good stuff goes quickly.

Then again, you can often wheel and deal right before closing time. Vendors don’t want to take stuff back home!

Top Bottom