First Bonsai

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
First bonsai. Is not working as planned. I cut it down twice. I have let it go over the past couple months.

Should I put this into a ceramic pot? I just added some bonsai soil last week because I am committing myself to learning the process over the next couple years.

The roots have set in nicely, but it's a pain to cut down.

Is Juniper really the easiest tree to start with? If so, I might be screwed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 82

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Where in the Southeast are you? What's your USDA zone?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They aren't difficult, but they are definitely not the easiest.

Cute tree; can you get a clear shot of the trunk? That could tell you if its ready for a bonsai pot or not.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
No, needle-type junipers like yours aren't the easiest to start with. Shimpaku junipers are different story.

With yours, resist the temptation to cut away all the interior foliage to create "clouds" of pads. Instead, cut away the stuff growing in the crotches, to identify main branches, and the stuff growing to the outside; compacting the design.

If you're really new, try a Chinese elm.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
An elm is almost a must have for beginners, they can take all kinds of abuse inclung beginner mistakes

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First bonsai. Is not working as planned. I cut it down twice. I have let it go over the past couple months.Should I put this into a ceramic pot? I just added some bonsai soil last week because I am committing myself to learning the process over the next couple years. The roots have set in nicely, but it's a pain to cut down. Is Juniper really the easiest tree to start with? If so, I might be screwed.
He you are back, we lost u in the other thread a bit. A ceramic pot is still just 'a container', i think any container is good enough (but it's not repotting time now i think). Like said earlyier, the needle/conifer/juniper tree's aren't the most easy, you need to do everything right or it dies. Maybe it's best to practise watering first ;)

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An elm is almost a must have for beginners, they can take all kinds of abuse inclung beginner mistakes
Iv got 3 or 4 I'm digging up this spring for this reason :) can't wait..

If this Danm ground doesn't freeze up some I'm not going to be able to resist digging one up soon....

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Iv got 3 or 4 I'm digging up this spring for this reason :) can't wait..

If this Danm ground doesn't freeze up some I'm not going to be able to resist digging one up soon....
I've got a couple siberian elms with around 14-16in trunks I've got my eyes on, winter here is full swing straight up blizzard outside right now.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a really small list of great trees for beginners to start with (listed in difficulty as well) :

1) Jade - Practically grown anywhere and easy to propagate. Will need to come in to winterize indoors.
2) Elm - Hardy trees, can stay outdoors in winter.
3) Ficus - Easy trees (should be grown outdoors as much as possible) can be grown indoors but is picky about lighting. Needs to come in to winterize indoors.
4) Juniper - Popular tree and generally easy to work with. Should not come inside, should stay outdoors all year round.

Aside from noting which trees are easy for beginners, no amount of hardiness or easy or whatever can save your tree if you subject your tree to drastic changes like root pruning and repotting at the wrong times during the year. Respect your tree and you and your tree should get along fine. :cool:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is a really small list of great trees for beginners to start with (listed in difficulty as well) :

1) Jade - Practically grown anywhere and easy to propagate. Will need to come in to winterize indoors.
2) Elm - Hardy trees, can stay outdoors in winter.
3) Ficus - Easy trees (should be grown outdoors as much as possible) can be grown indoors but is picky about lighting. Needs to come in to winterize indoors.
4) Juniper - Popular tree and generally easy to work with. Should not come inside, should stay outdoors all year round.

Aside from noting which trees are easy for beginners, no amount of hardiness or easy or whatever can save your tree if you subject your tree to drastic changes like root pruning and repotting at the wrong times during the year. Respect your tree and you and your tree should get along fine. :cool:
I would also add these easy tree species:

Trident Maple
Cherry
Crabapple
Bald Cypress

Top Bottom