First bonzai

Danmarvpad

Seedling
Reaction score
I just bought my first bonsai. This is a maple tree bonsai. I watched youtube videos and some suggested that I should transfer it to a bigger pot, but I am not sure if I should.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 102

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You shouldn’t do anything with it just yet. Keep it outdoors, keep it moist with plenty of sun. Next spring, if you like, you can transfer it into a bigger pot - or even put it in the ground for a couple years so it can thicken up. But in the meantime just keep researching and learning and enjoy your tree 👍

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The suggestion to transfer to a larger pot or to the ground is for the tree to grow and thicken up faster, since a larger root mass would be able to sustain a higher metabolic activity. Given this is your first tree, you can also keep it in this pot for a while to learn its growth patterns and water requirements. When you are ready, move it to a larger pot or ground preferably in early spring (as @DonovanC suggested). In the meantime perhaps start learning about repotting strategies, bonsai soils and root pruning.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one is about the same size it been after at least 5 years in this sized basket.

There is a "good" slow, and a "too" slow.

That was too slow.

It's new basket will probably help it to the next stage.

I'd shtick that in a basket.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Resist the urge to mess with this at all until you're confident that you've kept it healthy. I wouldn't touch a thing until next spring, at the earliest.

The reason is that you can use this time to learn more about bonsai and think about what image you want to create. Study the tree. These things are important, but not nearly as important as just learning how to care for the tree. If you repot or prune or wire or do anything "active" to the tree and it dies, you'll probably not know why it died. Was it the work you did? Was it poor timing? Was it a pathogen or insect? Was it a neighbors dog that peed on it?

By simply focusing on keeping it alive, you reduce the variables to the basics of sun, water, location, etc.

Very few trees are ever harmed by being left alone to grow.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s a tree in a pot - seems like a good place to start to me!
It’s a tree in a pot - seems like a good place to start to me!
I just hope they weren’t taken for a proverbial ride is all I’m saying. If they paid $100 for this would you still say that’s a good place to start? Everyone’s advice is to take this tree out of this pot and put it in the ground or something bigger.......... sort of redundant if you’re catching my drift here...... stay frosty

Danmarvpad

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will do my best to keep it healthy. I live in an apartment with no backyard or garden so i cant place it outdoors. I can only place it by the window to get sunlight. I hope thats okay.

Squirrel7t7

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yeah wait til late winter when the leaves are gone and the new buds are start to swell.
You don't need a bigger pot, but it looks like it could do with a root prune.
Its not as hard as it sounds just chop about 1/3 of the root mass away and add some new soil.
Should be ok for another 2-3 years.
All i would do to that at the moment is chop about a 1/3 of the height away to stop the top from racing any more...but its not my project. Will be a nice bonsai soon

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just hope they weren’t taken for a proverbial ride is all I’m saying. If they paid $100 for this would you still say that’s a good place to start? Everyone’s advice is to take this tree out of this pot and put it in the ground or something bigger.......... sort of redundant if you’re catching my drift here...... stay frosty
My statement was simple, and it remains as such - A tree in a pot is a good place to start.
And I think we all agree that we never want to see a fellow enthusiast taken for the ride.
But, respectfully, the inquiry “Someone sold this to you as a bonsai?” felt akin to one belittling another’s starting point. It seems that I misinterpreted your intent. Please forgive that.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My statement was simple, and it remains as such - A tree in a pot is a good place to start.
And I think we all agree that we never want to see a fellow enthusiast taken for the ride.
But, respectfully, the inquiry “Someone sold this to you as a bonsai?” felt akin to one belittling another’s starting point. It seems that I misinterpreted your intent. Please forgive that.
No no, I would never ever do that.. I’ll never be the snooty bonsai person, that’s not why I love trees and I love the carefree, enjoyable side of bonsai that adheres to carefree rules. I could’ve been more direct on what my intent with that comment was. I once posted a pic of a tree like this and asked what I should do, and the responses were less than favorable.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks everyone! I will do my best to keep it healthy. I live in an apartment with no backyard or garden so i cant place it outdoors. I can only place it by the window to get sunlight. I hope thats okay.

It’s likely and unfortunately not going to fair well indoors - this is a tree that needs seasons amongst other things. Perhaps look into a window planter? A quick google search leads to several varieties of (clip on?) window planters/shelves.
Also, since you’re limited to indoor growing, there are many species that do very well indoors. A decent Ficus microcarpa is easy to find, inexpensive and great for a first tree.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Generally maples aren’t indoor plants but it may survive a while in the window but ultimately needs to find an outside home.

look at a ficus retusa as a very good plant companion to be indoors with you. There are others as well, google is your friend :)

goodluck! Keep us posted.

RK

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No no, I would never ever do that.. I’ll never be the snooty bonsai person, that’s not why I love trees and I love the carefree, enjoyable side of bonsai that adheres to carefree rules. I could’ve been more direct on what my intent with that comment was. I once posted a pic of a tree like this and asked what I should do, and the responses were less than favorable.
Indeed. I think we’ve all experienced less than helpful feedback in our beginning days - I know I did (and sometimes still). Some forget that they too had a starting point.
If your trees in a pot, it’s healthy, and you enjoy what you’re doing, then you’re doing just fine 👍

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It’s likely and unfortunately not going to fair well indoors - this is a tree that needs seasons amongst other things. Perhaps look into a window planter? A quick google search leads to several varieties of (clip on?) window planters/shelves.
Also, since you’re limited to indoor growing, there are many species that do very well indoors. A decent Ficus microcarpa is easy to find, inexpensive and great for a first tree.
We literally just said the same things, nearly word for word!!!!

1596302676935.jpeg

Danmarvpad

Seedling
Reaction score

I understand! Will find a way to place it outdoors. I will also look for a Chinese elms. I read its easy to grow and can be indoors.

Danmarvpad

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah wait til late winter when the leaves are gone and the new buds are start to swell.
You don't need a bigger pot, but it looks like it could do with a root prune.
Its not as hard as it sounds just chop about 1/3 of the root mass away and add some new soil.
Should be ok for another 2-3 years.
All i would do to that at the moment is chop about a 1/3 of the height away to stop the top from racing any more...but its not my project. Will be a nice bonsai soon
The tree looked like was already cut before and already has a wire wrapped in the trunk. Should i still do this or wait for now?

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dumb question - does that pot have a good drainage hole or two? That's the only thing that would make me start considering anything more than water and fertilizer for this season.. I kinda like it - a skinny maple has a certain Grace to it.
Good luck!

Brent

Danmarvpad

Seedling
Reaction score
Dumb question - does that pot have a good drainage hole or two? That's the only thing that would make me start considering anything more than water and fertilizer for this season.. I kinda like it - a skinny maple has a certain Grace to it.
Good luck!

Brent
Yes it does it has one drainage hole, some roots are already sticking out of it though. I just checked.

Top Bottom