First Boxwood

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So is this what you were saying?
Pretty much. I would remove that branch with the red X all the way down to the trunk--or where the yellow branch begins...I would use the yellow branch as the new leader (it also needs a bit of reduction).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an old boat house at our place I over winter tenders. I’ll probably put it in there when things start going downhill. I’m hoping it hardens off into fall. I appreciate the heads up.
This looks to me like Korean boxwood--a very cold hardy variety of microphylla. I would not put it a dark place for the winter. It will probably be fine placed into a protected area of the backyard heeled partially into a garden bed (insuring there is space underneath the pot for it to drain) and mulched

Last edited:

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This looks to me like Korean boxwood--a very cold hardy variety of Japonicus. I would not put it a dark place for the winter. It will probably be fine placed into a protected area of the backyard heeled partially into a garden bed (insuring there is space underneath the pot for it to drain) and mulched
It has lots of light in it, via windows. It is a 100 year old building they use to build boats in down on the bay. The old man before me took it apart, moved it and put it back together on a slab. Even still has the metal roof. I don’t think he was trying to preserve history, he was just cheap 😂 Whatever, score for me 😂

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has lots of light in it, via windows. It is a 100 year old building they use to build boats in down on the bay. The old man before me took it apart, moved it and put it back together on a slab. Even still has the metal roof. I don’t think he was trying to preserve history, he was just cheap 😂 Whatever, score for me 😂
Not enough light for the tree. No real need for it, IMO. Buxus microphylla koreana is hardy down to Zone 4.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pretty much. I would remove that branch with the red X all the way down to the trunk--or where the yellow branch begins...I would use the yellow branch as the new leader (it also needs a bit of reduction).
This is what it would like without the paper bear in mind 😂

Attachments

• A30A9405-E778-4EAD-A68D-540A2826593C.jpeg
    A30A9405-E778-4EAD-A68D-540A2826593C.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 62

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Summer 2022 Update

The tree survived and was healthy all season long. Repotted and put in 1/4 Bonsai Jack inorganic soil and added 25% pine bark. Remove large aerial root and started to close the wound, will remove the second one next year or the following year. I air layered the top right branch off. I left some room for dieback when separating. Also removed an upright branch off lower left branch, again left some room for die back. Just wired and cut back branches to promote more ramification. Open to feedback, what I do right, what I do wrong. I appreciate you taking the time to look and potentially add insight.

Attachments

• A53FC791-88B8-4B9D-B89B-FE758E29BFA6.jpeg
    A53FC791-88B8-4B9D-B89B-FE758E29BFA6.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 46

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Summer 2022 Update

The tree survived and was healthy all season long. Repotted and put in 1/4 Bonsai Jack inorganic soil and added 25% pine bark. Remove large aerial root and started to close the wound, will remove the second one next year or the following year. I air layered the top right branch off. I left some room for dieback when separating. Also removed an upright branch off lower left branch, again left some room for die back. Just wired and cut back branches to promote more ramification. Open to feedback, what I do right, what I do wrong. I appreciate you taking the time to look and potentially add insight.
Glad it survived. What is your plan for the upright branch? Is it too lignified to bend or could you bring it around to make an apex? Or are you going for slanted / wind swept?

Next spring, you could probably repot to a much smaller pot.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Glad it survived. What is your plan for the upright branch? Is it too lignified to bend or could you bring it around to make an apex? Or are you going for slanted / wind swept?

Next spring, you could probably repot to a much smaller pot.
Me too! I was happy that it grew well and didn’t seem to skip a beat. To be brutally honest I am struggling with that branch. I believe it needs another wire as it seems to be recoiling when bent. A secondary thought would be to bend it down and make it a branch as I change the leader down the road to the circle branch. Any direction or suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• F93C028E-1578-4F2B-84EA-9FD6489A666B.jpeg
    F93C028E-1578-4F2B-84EA-9FD6489A666B.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 45

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the look of keeping the branch in the red and losing the long branch. Keep going with the wind swept. Looking good!

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the look of keeping the branch in the red and losing the long branch. Keep going with the wind swept. Looking good!
I won’t say that my initial fuzzy vision included windswept. I was going more towards an informal upright. Perhaps there lies the problem, fuzzy vision of where I’m going with it?

Top Bottom