First Brazilian Rain Tree. Advice?

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I just got this tree as a gift....Its a little battered from shipping. Leaves are a bit beat up. My main question is that there is just plain dirt under what looks like akadama? (not sure what kind of rock it is) Should I re-pot it in a bonsai mix? and if so, should I wait a while (weeks, months?) for the tree to acclimate to my zone?

Thanks in advance

Paul

34118201_10155871751844531_892791312766468096_n.jpg

34135418_10155871751784531_6597735946148380672_n.jpg

34367757_10155871751944531_3722240562493915136_n.jpg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That doesn’t look like akadama to me. It looks more like gravel. Is it rock hard or can you crumble it if you try to squish it with your fingers (especially when it’s wet)?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with @RobertB let it return to health before doing anything.
Yup....the soil looks poor...does it drain well after a thorough watering though?

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I agree with @RobertB let it return to health before doing anything.
Yup....the soil looks poor...does it drain well after a thorough watering though?

I just got it today. I haven't watered it yet but I doubt it will drain well. I lightly watered the rocks with a watering can just to get them moist. I didn't give it the full on soaking yet. I'm afraid, very afraid.. lol

Random User

Reaction score
Yep, listen to Robert... and just because it's not in "bonsai soil" doesn't mean that it won't do well in it, I've found that mine don't really like having their roots messed with too much, but that might just be a coincidence with a number of other factors.

Once it's beginning to show good health, refer to people who are closest to you.

Random User

Reaction score
From what I know most BRTs come from Florida area, so there should be plenty of people who have them.

But what I meant was listen "most closely" to the people here in B'nut who are close to you in zone and climate sense. Many of us have them as an indoor plant, and that info might not be relevant to growing it outdoors in FL.

There are a number of people here that have good advice, but the BRT will tell you what it likes and dislikes... you'll see what I mean in a week or two.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
From what I know most BRTs come from Florida area, so there should be plenty of people who have them.

But what I meant was listen "most closely" to the people here in B'nut who are close to you in zone and climate sense. Many of us have them as an indoor plant, and that info might not be relevant to growing it outdoors in FL.

There are a number of people here that have good advice, but the BRT will tell you what it likes and dislikes... you'll see what I mean in a week or two.

Sounds good..I appreciate it.. I guess time will tell. I'd really hate to keep in the soil it's in now but regardless I'll have to wait a bit to change it up.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's hard. It won't crumble.
It is rock then, not akadama. Akadama is a light beige when dry, a medium tan when wet, and is squishable because it is a volcanic clay.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did the leaves perk up yet?

Sorce

WOOB

Sapling
Reaction score
Get rid of the bar branch on top, I think the one on the right looks like there is a branch below? If you use some rooting compound and all it will root and you have a new tree. It is dirt its cheep to grow in and doesn't need as much watering but will is crap and will kill the tree in the long run. In NJ I repot after I defoliating in Early July depending on the weather. I would fertilize the hell out of it wait till it starts growing and repot. They are great trees my favorite!

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So I've got a couple raintrees and am also in Florida. About as far away from you as possible in Florida haha but that's all right. You can prob find some photos of decent raintrees I've posted before. Anywho my absolute strongest recommendation would be to do absolutely nothing to this tree for at least a month or 6 weeks. Then it should be showing you its health. If its good it will be growing like a weed. That will be the middle of the summer and a good time to then take care ofm the roots and soil. You can also start to prune a bit then if this is the tree size you ultimately want. If you want a bigger tree you can at that time plant it out and grow it. Just give it good sun and water for now. I keep my raintrees pretty moist.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I've got a couple raintrees and am also in Florida. About as far away from you as possible in Florida haha but that's all right. You can prob find some photos of decent raintrees I've posted before. Anywho my absolute strongest recommendation would be to do absolutely nothing to this tree for at least a month or 6 weeks. Then it should be showing you its health. If its good it will be growing like a weed. That will be the middle of the summer and a good time to then take care ofm the roots and soil. You can also start to prune a bit then if this is the tree size you ultimately want. If you want a bigger tree you can at that time plant it out and grow it. Just give it good sun and water for now. I keep my raintrees pretty moist.

You think that long? I'm thinking a week, two tops!:cool::D:D:D:D:D
I'd want to address the soil sooner than later. Just starting out learning to water is pretty easy with good soil....this stuff can be a problem.:confused:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil is way less of an issue than the way you water it. If you know you have dense soil, ensure you water well (I find lukewarm water helps to penetrate organic soil better) and wait a bit longer than normal to water again, so the soil gets a change to dry up a bit.

Top Bottom