Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Man, What do you guys think? The soil in this tree is so crappy and so compacted. I really want to transplant it into some bonsai mix but scared shitless because it was a gift from a great friend and I dont want it to die but this soil is absolutely horrendous. Half the people here said to transplant it and half said dont you'll kill it, LOL. .what do it do?

If I transplant it, should I bare root it? Should I not bare root it? Rake the roots, not rake the roots? Same pot? Different size pot?? I know I have to get it out of this soil, eventually... What y'all think?

35487901_10155906349959531_7562594134377103360_n.jpg

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man, What do you guys think? The soil in this tree is so crappy and so compacted. I really want to transplant it into some bonsai mix but scared shitless because it was a gift from a great friend and I dont want it to die but this soil is absolutely horrendous. Half the people here said to transplant it and half said dont you'll kill it, LOL. .what do it do?

If I transplant it, should I bare root it? Should I not bare root it? Rake the roots, not rake the roots? Same pot? Different size pot?? I know I have to get it out of this soil, eventually... What y'all think?

View attachment 197051
The best time to repot tropicals is in the middle of the summer, so I’d say hang on a while longer. Do the repot next month.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, what do you think? Transplant?
I tend to bare root anything that’s not a conifer if I’m trying to get it out of its original nursery soil, unless I know that the species reacts poorly to root work. I don’t have any species-specific knowledge about root work on BRTs. I have repotted one, but mine was already in a bonsai soil mix with no drainage problems. The purpose of that repot was to transfer it from a seedling pot to a larger bonsai pot. I just raked the exterior of the root ball a bit.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In your climate you can go ahead and root now. I keep mine in regular bonsai soil and I water the crap out of it every day with no problems. I just repotted mine also a couple weeks ago since we've been having really hot weather too. I bare rooted it and cut back pretty hard and although it took a couple week to recover in the shade, it's starting to grow again
Before:
20180603_160422.jpg
After:
20180603_164407.jpg

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Well, I took the leap and re-potted and defoliated.. I just about bare rooted it but I took some of the old soil (dirt) it was in and placed it in the pot to keep some of the bacteria in there per Adam Lavigne. I wish I knew how to wire or even had some wire (can I find any wire that would be good at home depot?) but oh well....

Soil = 2 parts lava, 1 part turface, 1 part perlite and 1 part pine bark fines. I hit it with a little Super Thrive to finish it off.

Now, lets all pray together..

oh.. any suggestions on which branches to cut?

after-repot1.jpg

after-repot2.jpg

davive2

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi. New to the group, just joined today.

I have two BRTs but they are growing quite differently from each other. I think there is a variation in the species, right? One is not growing much and is dropping leaves after turning yellow and drying up. The other is growing like gangbusters with all kinds of new shoots going everywhere.

Paul, I would have changed the soil that you were so concerned about as you did but I'm not sure why you defoliated. I haven't seen that recommended anywhere for BRTs. I would not prune it now until it has recovered from the repotting and the defoliating. Too much change at once including shipping, being in a box, etc. I would not have fed it either until I was sure it was healthy.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I did change the soil (2 parts lava, 1 part turface and 1 part perlite) and Adam Lavigne told me that I should defoliate after re-pot in Florida during summer. He says the roots regenerate much faster if you defoliate. And you can fertilize right away and place it right back in full sun and that's what I did. It works like a charm. Within 3 days of re-potting the trees were budding like crazy and had tons of growth.

I will always defoliate my BRT's after re-potting now. I just did 2 more and the exploded with growth. I live in the tropics so I can easily do this with out any problems.

They are extremely healthy.. I just did the two in the training pots like 4 days ago.

Attachments

• brt1.jpg
    brt1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 27
  • brt2.jpg
    brt2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
  • brt3.jpg
    brt3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 25

davive2

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok. I'm glad it worked for you. That's the opposite I've been hearing and reading elsewhere.

The usual advice is to repot, let the plant recover in the shade for 2 weeks before feeding or doing anything else except watering. That's what's confusing, all the varying advice. Some say keep wet, others say to let it dry out before watering.

I think my spot in the window was too hot for mine last week during our heat wave and that's why it's dropping leaves this week.

Thanks.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a "window"? Will grow much better outdoors if you are in your climates summer months...wherever you are. I'll assume it's the northern hemisphere and BRT's love a heat wave!!

Source of your advice?:)

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I think my weather has a lot to do with it.. it’s always 90
Ok. I'm glad it worked for you. That's the opposite I've been hearing and reading elsewhere.

The usual advice is to repot, let the plant recover in the shade for 2 weeks before feeding or doing anything else except watering. That's what's confusing, all the varying advice. Some say keep wet, others say to let it dry out before watering.

I think my spot in the window was too hot for mine last week during our heat wave and that's why it's dropping leaves this week.

Thanks.

I think it’s about the tempature here. It’s always 90 degrees.. and I water mine twice a day.. my soil is all inorganic except for some pine bark it dries out pretty quick.. you should go to Adam Lavigne’s blog. Lots of cool stuff there..He is doing more and more BRTs too..

davive2

Seedling
Reaction score
In a "window"? Will grow much better outdoors if you are in your climates summer months...wherever you are. I'll assume it's the northern hemisphere and BRT's love a heat wave!!

Source of your advice?:)
I don't really have a safe place outdoors to grow my trees. That's why I only have indoor bonsais so far but thanks for the suggestion.

davive2

Seedling
Reaction score
I think my weather has a lot to do with it.. it’s always 90

I think it’s about the tempature here. It’s always 90 degrees.. and I water mine twice a day.. my soil is all inorganic except for some pine bark it dries out pretty quick.. you should go to Adam Lavigne’s blog. Lots of cool stuff there..He is doing more and more BRTs too..
I think I didn't realize how hot it was in the window and did not compensate enough with watering. My soil is mostly inorganic also and drains easily. I'm watching the dampness of the soil more closely now.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I think I didn't realize how hot it was in the window and did not compensate enough with watering. My soil is mostly inorganic also and drains easily. I'm watching the dampness of the soil more closely now.

Where do you live? I dont think it can get hot enough for a BRT.. not sure though, well, at least sitting on a window.. That's just my thought.. No scientific proof on that one.. LOL.. Mine bake in the sun all day long..

davive2

Seedling
Reaction score
Where do you live? I dont think it can get hot enough for a BRT.. not sure though, well, at least sitting on a window.. That's just my thought.. No scientific proof on that one.. LOL.. Mine bake in the sun all day long..
I live in Massachusetts but we had a week of hot weather in the 90s with high humidity and I moved the tree from another location where the sun is not as direct for as long. Like I said, I think I needed to step up the watering. My fukien tea had a similar reaction but with bug infestation added.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have two BRTs but they are growing quite differently from each other. I think there is a variation in the species, right?
Yes, there are 2 found variations.
Most BRTs in the USA come from Florida and are cuttings or results from air-layers; these are not grown from seeds, and most found in America will never bloom, and the thorns are few or inexistent.
The one I have as bonsai in Brazil is from seed, and a little different: the bark looks rough like the one in @Rodrigo 's post above (n# 28 I think), is full of thorns, and it flowers every Spring.
The leaves are of course the same, and obviously they love the Brazilian weather, BUT...
If left in full sun in high summer (temps 95F and above), even with its leaves closed to protect themselves, damage can happen to them, and it can drop leaves.

Top Bottom