First carving...what do you think?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Opinions plz. I just did my first ever carving...and its on this Wisteria, and would like to know if its kinda "believable"..?
Also i'm thinking maybe extend the dead wood right down to soil level..next summer. Thoughts about that also plz?
The preserver I painted on is still fresh and will lighten up in time...according to the instructions.

IMG_20230430_101202.jpgIMG_20230430_101214.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good, but don't get too attached to the deadwood. It's going to rot pretty quickly. Wisteria "wood" is so porous and light, it turns "punky" and soft after only a year or so exposure. Preservatives can help, but they don't really preserve anything as much as stall things a bit. If you're using a a wood preservative that has some kind of sealant in it like polyurethane etc. things will eventually go sideways. Water can get behind those preservatives and rot the underlying wood, while leaving the surface looking fine. After a few years, all that preserved surface wood will break like a pane of glass.

Sorry, not a fan of induced deadwood on wisteria. Have had issues like this with every one I've collected. Subsequently, I tend to try and outgrow deadwood on them and get callus tissue to cover things up. It's more effective.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like it ...Thats a cool looking wisteria...has it flowered yet for you?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A nice job although in the close up shot some of the cuts are a bit angular and take away the natural look. You might go over those areas with a wire brush in the Dremel. Also I know that Harry Harrington has used super glue as a wood preservative with some success.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Opinions plz. I just did my first ever carving...and its on this Wisteria, and would like to know if its kinda "believable"..?
Also i'm thinking maybe extend the dead wood right down to soil level..next summer. Thoughts about that also plz?
The preserver I painted on is still fresh and will lighten up in time...according to the instructions.

View attachment 485124View attachment 485125
It looks great, congrats!

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks good, but don't get too attached to the deadwood. It's going to rot pretty quickly. Wisteria "wood" is so porous and light, it turns "punky" and soft after only a year or so exposure. Preservatives can help, but they don't really preserve anything as much as stall things a bit. If you're using a a wood preservative that has some kind of sealant in it like polyurethane etc. things will eventually go sideways. Water can get behind those preservatives and rot the underlying wood, while leaving the surface looking fine. After a few years, all that preserved surface wood will break like a pane of glass.

Sorry, not a fan of induced deadwood on wisteria. Have had issues like this with every one I've collected. Subsequently, I tend to try and outgrow deadwood on them and get callus tissue to cover things up. It's more effective.
so in this case, to prevent a rot overload that could ruin the tree, back budding should be kept alive to try and counteract the deadwood with growth?

I have a similar problem on my bucida that i recently pruned, there's a big gap in the bark where I cut a big branch and it's widening but there's new buds near it that are growing fast, I'm going to let those buds grow strong to try and heal and resolve that potential rot situation

I can understand 'not being a fan' of carving on a particular species for practical physiological reasons. Carving can look great but stab you in the back later

Last edited:
Top Bottom