First Chops! Thoughts?

Trigobontree

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Did my first chops. Thoughts? Should I go further? Found these at the nursery while browsing. Should of taken before photos. One was a 3ft tall tree (love the peeling bark) and the other was a fairly decent size bush. I forgot the names, I’ll go outside and find the tags once I work up the energy again.

Attachments

• 28A1F1C3-D20F-4AE9-AE93-4163B0385895.jpeg
    28A1F1C3-D20F-4AE9-AE93-4163B0385895.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 9FB9E81C-B51C-4417-9D85-A917F16245CE.jpeg
    9FB9E81C-B51C-4417-9D85-A917F16245CE.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 82

Trigobontree

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ok, so they’re a Golden Leaf Ninebark and a Beehive Japanese Holly

Trigobontree

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
A lot of folks getting chop crazy for late summer.
I was going to say something cheeky about how technically the middle of summer this year is Aug 7th (or Aug 1st if you want to be traditional). But I don’t want to come across as an a-hat. Because I’m not. I promise. I have no bonsai friends yet and am learning as I go. Any and all advice is welcome and super appreciated. Was it too late to chop? I couldn’t find much information on these particular species so I went by the “in the heart of the growing season” guideline and interperated that to mean before the summer mid point.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to say something cheeky about how technically the middle of summer this year is Aug 7th (or Aug 1st if you want to be traditional). But I don’t want to come across as an a-hat. Because I’m not. I promise. I have no bonsai friends yet and am learning as I go. Any and all advice is welcome and super appreciated. Was it too late to chop? I couldn’t find much information on these particular species so I went by the “in the heart of the growing season” guideline and interperated that to mean before the summer mid point.
Many will agree with you that the time is still good for large chops and it is of course species dependent. Being an old retired nurseryman, my cut of day has always been July 4th. This was learned from generations before me and by personal experience to support the supposition. Experience has also taught me to cheat a little on this from time to time according to species, environment and severity of pruning.
But climate is changing, plants are changing and people are changing.............forevermore.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best suggestion to find nearby Bonsai club and ask help from locals. If more than one club pick best one. Personally believe mistakes made with these including overzealous chopping of limbs. If wanting any bigger trunks some of these branches should not have been removed. Wait until late Winter/early Spring AFTER last killing frost to do any repotting and do not try to put in "Bonsai" pots yet. Growing containers needed for development and fancy pots very last thing to get. Patience, patience.

Trigobontree

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Many will agree with you that the time is still good for large chops and it is of course species dependent. Being an old retired nurseryman, my cut of day has always been July 4th. This was learned from generations before me and by personal experience to support the supposition. Experience has also taught me to cheat a little on this from time to time according to species, environment and severity of pruning.
But climate is changing, plants are changing and people are changing.............forevermore.
Do you think I should of taken more, or less away on the Japanese Holly? I feel good about the Ninebark (I think). I didn’t want to cut the limbs back too short on that because from the little information I could find, they can get leggy and I think I was lucky to find one that wasn’t. There are some branches I’m kicking myself now for taking off on the Holly, but my eye saw that taper and I got over zealous trying to expose it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think I should of taken more, or less away on the Japanese Holly? I feel good about the Ninebark (I think). I didn’t want to cut the limbs back too short on that because from the little information I could find, they can get leggy and I think I was lucky to find one that wasn’t. There are some branches I’m kicking myself now for taking off on the Holly, but my eye saw that taper and I got over zealous trying to expose it.
As to the physiological response from the plant, you are probably ok unless you have a particularly harsh winter in which case you can expect dieback on the new growth that will be forthcoming.
As to the pruning itself, I am sorry to say I don't get it. I can't figure out what your plans are for this plant. I abhor all the parallel branches on the left and I think the opposing branches further up are going to be a problem. Cuts themselves look a bit jagged as though they were done in multiple stages. I don't know how the plant will react in that regard. I have very little Japanese holly experience as bonsai .... actually none. They don't interest me. Maybe someone else will pipe in who has experience with them.
Good luck. I don't really remember what I was doing exactly 40-50 years ago, but I am sure I did things worse than this to my plants.

Trigobontree

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Best suggestion to find nearby Bonsai club and ask help from locals. If more than one club pick best one. Personally believe mistakes made with these including overzealous chopping of limbs. If wanting any bigger trunks some of these branches should not have been removed. Wait until late Winter/early Spring AFTER last killing frost to do any repotting and do not try to put in "Bonsai" pots yet. Growing containers needed for development and fancy pots very last thing to get. Patience, patience.
Yes. Patience is the hardest thing for me. Which low key is kind of why I wanted to get some cheap nursery stock to quell my antsy fingers. All of my other trees are happy, healthy, and shouldn’t have to be touched again for a while. Minus these new nursery plants, the health of my trees always comes first in my mind. I’m new to this, but my trees bring me so much inner joy and peace. I honestly wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I do. I love advice. Crave it. I’m a business intelligence analyst by day, I find great pleasure in being bombarded by information and processing potential outcomes. But unfortunately I don’t have any bonsai friends to talk to, and my family and friends are pretty tired of me ranting on about my plants haha. That’s why I joined this site, to learn even more, and maybe hopefully find some friends that I can geek out to about our trees.

Trigobontree

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As to the physiological response from the plant, you are probably ok unless you have a particularly harsh winter in which case you can expect dieback on the new growth that will be forthcoming.
As to the pruning itself, I am sorry to say I don't get it. I can't figure out what your plans are for this plant. I abhor all the parallel branches on the left and I think the opposing branches further up are going to be a problem. Cuts themselves look a bit jagged as though they were done in multiple stages. I don't know how the plant will react in that regard. I have very little Japanese holly experience as bonsai .... actually none. They don't interest me. Maybe someone else will pipe in who has experience with them.
Good luck. I don't really remember what I was doing exactly 40-50 years ago, but I am sure I did things worse than this to my plants.
Yeah, the jaggedness is totally on me. I had my SO sharpen the pruners before hand, but I’m 120lbs soaking wet. It’s hard for me to get clean cuts with manual tools on some larger branches. They look very parallel in that photo, but they form kind of a spiral pattern and I suppose that is what I was kind of going for? Do you think there’s any chance for it to turn out decent looking?

Attachments

• EF330CE8-473F-4930-B351-C2D3ADE58767.jpeg
    EF330CE8-473F-4930-B351-C2D3ADE58767.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 39

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is always a chance, often a possibility and occasionally a probability. Its all in you hands.
I think you need to look at a lot more bonsai and question how did they get there.
You will be fine, its just a long crooked road. ;)

Top Bottom