First Colorado Blue.

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont know why so many pics appeared I only posted 4 ? sorry folks will try to delete

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce. all 4 photos the same tree. Labeled as colorado blue spruce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont know why so many pics appeared I only posted 4 ? sorry folks will try to delete

No worries! When my connection is slow I post eightuples!
Plus...some moron will sit there and try to find the differences in the pictures...and I find that hilarious!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like that one Bonsai import company’s got , little to steep for me right now , my boys got a sick collected raft I’m trying to pry out of his hands , Tyler sherrod styled it this past fall now he doesn’t want to come off of it :mad:

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that one Bonsai import company’s got , little to steep for me right now , my boys got a sick collected raft I’m trying to pry out of his hands , Tyler sherrod styled it this past fall now he doesn’t want to come off of it :mad:
Can you direct me to a link?

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cant believe I just found this thread in the last few days. I didnt see that it started back in december, glad it
... but do eat the pinons inside.

I was not coming on BN for awhile as it seemed so quiet. Now I see I have some catching up on threads to do!
Thanks for posting this thread and look forward to progress reports!

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what happened that last post wasnt finished and the quote partly? hmmm
I actually broke off a pine candle today and went about chewing some thinking it might taste pitchy or ? not horrible but pretty piney lol

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was in march 2013.
One is on its last leg and one still on both legs but likely on its way out. I never did the follow up and repot to get the rest of the clay out. my bad. Should have repotted 2 years ago. they were quite strong and pushing buds like crazy. on the trunk, on the limbs. I never did get the whorl bumps gone, tho I did get some new branching developed.
will try to look up more picks.
I have a couple other blue spruce dont think they are the colorado but not certain. Growing different.View attachment 174412View attachment 174413View attachment 174414View attachment 174415

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok Sorce these are photos of the large colorado blue spruce taken today. (5 years after the initial repot)
There was some good years when it was thriving, the last 2 years spiraling to their death.
The newer tips and buds I think are just from latent energy in the trunk.
One has less than this one but is further along in its demise.
My fault for not repotting 2 years ago and getting the rest of the clay off the roots and fresh soil mix.
spruce1-18.jpgspruce2.jpgspruce3.jpgspruce4.jpgspruce5.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been a little worried about this one.
But after spending some time with a landscape Blue the other day, I realized they were a bit slower as well.

A bit behind, but proportionately equal with the cutting stress....this one is right on time.
20180519_072248.jpg20180519_072242.jpg20180519_072223.jpg

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ok Sorce these are photos of the large colorado blue spruce taken today. (5 years after the initial repot)
There was some good years when it was thriving, the last 2 years spiraling to their death.
The newer tips and buds I think are just from latent energy in the trunk.
One has less than this one but is further along in its demise.
My fault for not repotting 2 years ago and getting the rest of the clay off the roots and fresh soil mix.
View attachment 174776View attachment 174777View attachment 174778View attachment 174779View attachment 174780
Has this tree been pinched? The new spring growth, did you try to pinch the tip and shorten the new growth? It looks like it.

The problem is, that can kill the tree!oh, I know it’s “taught” by some respected bonsai people. Doesn’t matter. It really weakens spruces! Can kill them, in fact. Let the new buds open and grow. As they grow out, they will produce buds as well as needles. After
they’ve grown out in mid summer, you will be able to see all the little buds fitting there. If you want to shorten a branch, do it then, once you can see the bud. Cut back to a live bud. Or, you can cut off a terminal shoot entirely, and train a back branch to take its place.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Mine are slow too.,denformins, and das are all awake and extending. Not the CBS, my summer repot finished off one. She diddnt even get to bud swell, she went grey and dropped,all needles,in the wind this spring. Twas on the burner bench and maybe got a lil too dry in its pond basket. I mutilated one I was sure wasnt going to come back but she's still green and buds are swole

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has this tree been pinched? The new spring growth, did you try to pinch the tip and shorten the new growth?

Eeee No!
Just the one lopping of branches upon receipt.
I always try to document any work, even experimental.

I agree that process is rather ...uh..."shouldn't betaught" lol!

I see a pretty clear difference in spruce shoot size....same as Boxwood.
On BHS (densata) There is a natural about half inch wide shoot. About 2-3 inches long.

And the bigger inch wide shoots, about 4-6 inches long....

In CBS or seems 3/4in and 1 1/4 in maybe a little bigger...

Simply favoring those smaller buds and keeping them balanced seems to keep them uniform in tiny foliage.

That "spruce for real" thread is sure coming!
Especially sonce you agree that technoque is weak....worse yet....weakening!

I dont see a purpose for it at all..

Quite honestly....I feel it is leftover from when we were taught to keep trees unhealthy for small growth .

Or the dreaded....mistranslation of Japanese info!

Sorce

Top Bottom