First Decent Tree!!!

Ohioisonfire

Sapling
Reaction score
Inspired by many of the members here I decided to save a little change and buy some decent material (for a broke beginner). I found a place about an hour away and drove down and bought what I was told is a Ficus Macrocarpa 'golden gate'. I feel a paid a very good price.

My tentative plan is to air layer off the top for shohin material and then continue to grow the bottom half.

I have been growing a couple schefflera and ficus inside for the past few months. Nothing was happy for the first couple months but I recently bought a light fixture and they have been getting healthier everyday. Those are all very small and bare trees.

My questions with this tree are as follows:. Since it's so "bushy" compared to my other trees should I thin out the top growth so the bottom is getting more light?

In the upcoming weeks I will be upgrading to a better shelf which will be more "sealed" and humid hopefully. I will also paint the sides and back white to add reflectivity. I will be getting another fixture with different bulbs as well for twice the light and more coverage.

(Also I fully realize this isn't amazing material and more then likely just overgrown s curve, BUT I am very happy with having something thicker than a pencil that's also a popular species)

Attachments

• IMG_20170211_213209.jpg
    IMG_20170211_213209.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170211_213231.jpg
    IMG_20170211_213231.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20170211_213431.jpg
    IMG_20170211_213431.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 110

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
="Ohioisonfire, post: 423778,
Inspired by many of the members here I decided to save a little change and buy some decent material (for a broke beginner). I found a place about an hour away and drove down
I can see you are in love with bonsai now! :)

My tentative plan is to air layer off the top for shohin material and then continue to grow the bottom half.

You can air- layering or cutting. Cutting is much easier and is well taken for ficus.

I have been growing a couple schefflera and ficus inside for the past few months. Nothing was happy for the first couple months but I recently bought a light fixture and they have been getting healthier everyday.
I can see you tend to grow plant inside with artificial light. If I was you, I put those ficus to outside in the spring all the way to the winter. Ficus is growing fast! I have one ficus cutting with size about my 5th finger. After 4 years, its size was about my wrist.

My questions with this tree are as follows:. Since it's so "bushy" compared to my other trees should I thin out the top growth so the bottom is getting more light?
You plan to remove the top for shohin material, so go ahead to do that instead of thin the top out.

(Also I fully realize this isn't amazing material and more then likely just overgrown s curve, BUT I am very happy with having something thicker than a pencil that's also a popular species)
I completely agree with you.
Bonhe

Ohioisonfire

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks @bonhe

I fully intend for everything to go outside once the weather permits.

Based on what I have been reading I was planning on removing the top half or so come spring when I can get it outside and growing better, but if people think otherwise let me know I'm here to ask questions and learn.

Top Bottom