First ever pot. Thoughts?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Neah uhhh. He's being sacrificed to the kiln gods. Along with a few of his fellows.
Making my biggest one to date in the morning. 70x40 cm oval for a forest planting. Kinda nervous excited :)).
Best of luck with the big pot, I'm sure it will turn out great.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The pot with paleolithic goddesses for feet is really a neat design. Maybe to strong an art statement for most trees, but a wildly exuberant satsuki azalea in that pot, doing a semi cascade, and in full vibrant glorious bloom would be feminine enough for the goddesses to support. Or a fruit tree in full fruit. Only good for trees that goddesses would appreciate.

The pot with incurved corners is lovely. Very nice.

And I like the wide lip pot.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aaand done. Love the original with a passion. It's light years better than mine but still. Like how it turned out.
IMG_20190308_234052.jpgIMG_20190308_234140.jpg
@Leo in N E Illinois thanks man. I'm going to play with this one. I want to do the godesses in red iron oxide and glaze the rest. If the kiln gods are merciful it should be something special after fireing.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aaand done. Love the original with a passion. It's light years better than mine but still. Like how it turned out.
View attachment 230947View attachment 230948
@Leo in N E Illinois thanks man. I'm going to play with this one. I want to do the godesses in red iron oxide and glaze the rest. If the kiln gods are merciful it should be something special after fireing.
LOVE the other pots here. Not this one. that wide lip is a problem, not necessarily aesthetically, but practically. It's asking to be chipped, broken, etc. in everyday use. would also take up unnecessary space in overwintering quarters. Quibbles, I know. Very nicely done though.:)

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Tentakelaertje good to know there's appreciation coming from the Netherlands :D. I plan to keep it up if Cristina doesn't kick me out of the house pots and all :))
@rockm i hated every moment of making it in all frankness :)). Too thin for comfort and a bitch to flip over to do the underside. Now it has graced me with a damned crack during drying. I'll see if I can fix it, and if not I'll probably bite the bullet and try another one. I have a fixation with putting a pine in it. Call me masochistic :).
Methinks if it actually makes it through the fireing i can use the rim to hold accent plant pots :D. In my matchbox balcony no space is wasted :D.
@cockroach it turned out much better than i hoped. I'll make a few more in this style. I cast a mold of the bas relief before attaching it so I can duplicate it.

And in other news, another comission pot. Frankly I'm not a big fan of the shape or finish but the customer is always right :)...
IMG_20190316_230212.jpgIMG_20190316_230238.jpgIMG_20190316_230244.jpg

Reaction score
@Tentakelaertje good to know there's appreciation coming from the Netherlands :D. I plan to keep it up if Cristina doesn't kick me out of the house pots and all :))
@rockm i hated every moment of making it in all frankness :)). Too thin for comfort and a bitch to flip over to do the underside. Now it has graced me with a damned crack during drying. I'll see if I can fix it, and if not I'll probably bite the bullet and try another one. I have a fixation with putting a pine in it. Call me masochistic :).
Methinks if it actually makes it through the fireing i can use the rim to hold accent plant pots :D. In my matchbox balcony no space is wasted :D.
@cockroach it turned out much better than i hoped. I'll make a few more in this style. I cast a mold of the bas relief before attaching it so I can duplicate it.

And in other news, another comission pot. Frankly I'm not a big fan of the shape or finish but the customer is always right :)...
View attachment 232375View attachment 232376View attachment 232377

Haha Cristina will be fine, right? You should keep it up and these pics prove it! Nice! That large rimmed pot is a beaut too by the way! If you are ever going to make one again please let me know ;)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The blue glazes are very nice, but for heavens sake, quit trapping old guys in clay!;)

Top Bottom