First ever pot. Thoughts?

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice dude
Realy looking good the square semi cascade pot is my favorite!
I might buy some pots in the future for sure!
I'm more into the snake one. But that's probably because it took a shitton of time to do the texture :)).
Whenever you like something, shout out :D. Hope to make more soon.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And speaking of the snake one... Let me tell you a story about chain fuckups :)). Sold the snake one pretty fast. Right after, saw an imperfection in the glaze that bothered me to no end, so I though... Why not refire it? Worked great before... Agreed with the buyer, he was all in for a refire.
Well... Wanted to test how some glazes and engobes behave when adding CMC gum for brushing, so I used a pot I hated and never finished instead of test tiles, mixed my glazes, threw everything in the kiln, set the program and left town.... I know... Bad idea.
Got back four days later to find the kiln still at almost 800°C. As it turns out, after my firing was done and everything was almost cool, got a power failure that screwed the controller, it started a firing schedule again and overfired by around 100°C before topping out.
Result: snake pot stuck to the shelf, chipped in three places. Pretty green crystalline glaze went matt and featureless, client dissapointed by Mihai saying sorry dude, I screwed up.
Glaze test gone to hell as the temp was wayyy to high. Good part is at least no kiln damage.
Next up... Pics:
Snake before:
IMG_20190812_185148.jpg
Snake after:
IMG_20190830_084936.jpg
IMG_20190830_084913.jpg
What was supposed to be a dark brown matte engobe completely vitrified. Shitty engobe result, kinda nice shiny glaze tho' :)). Makes you crave some caramel cake:
IMG_20190920_005621.jpg
Light leather brown engobe, turned slightly glossy but pitted to no end:
IMG_20190920_005612.jpg
Metallic red glaze (looks a lot redder in natural light) actually like this one:
IMG_20190920_005632.jpg
What I was hoping would be a nice crystalline crackle glaze up next. Temp was way to high and it turned too liquid so all the metallic particles settled on the bottom:
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
Last one i actually like. Gold brown with a metal luster:
IMG_20190920_005536.jpg

You can also see sone appaling pink and light blue that turned out so hideous I'm not even going to post them.
Moral of the story: do not leave your kiln unattended for a few days. Bad shit will happen!

Reaction score
And speaking of the snake one... Let me tell you a story about chain fuckups :)). Sold the snake one pretty fast. Right after, saw an imperfection in the glaze that bothered me to no end, so I though... Why not refire it? Worked great before... Agreed with the buyer, he was all in for a refire.
Well... Wanted to test how some glazes and engobes behave when adding CMC gum for brushing, so I used a pot I hated and never finished instead of test tiles, mixed my glazes, threw everything in the kiln, set the program and left town.... I know... Bad idea.
Got back four days later to find the kiln still at almost 800°C. As it turns out, after my firing was done and everything was almost cool, got a power failure that screwed the controller, it started a firing schedule again and overfired by around 100°C before topping out.
Result: snake pot stuck to the shelf, chipped in three places. Pretty green crystalline glaze went matt and featureless, client dissapointed by Mihai saying sorry dude, I screwed up.
Glaze test gone to hell as the temp was wayyy to high. Good part is at least no kiln damage.
Next up... Pics:
Snake before:
View attachment 263347
Snake after:
View attachment 263349
View attachment 263350
What was supposed to be a dark brown matte engobe completely vitrified. Shitty engobe result, kinda nice shiny glaze tho' :)). Makes you crave some caramel cake:
View attachment 263351
Light leather brown engobe, turned slightly glossy but pitted to no end:
View attachment 263354
Metallic red glaze (looks a lot redder in natural light) actually like this one:
View attachment 263355
What I was hoping would be a nice crystalline crackle glaze up next. Temp was way to high and it turned too liquid so all the metallic particles settled on the bottom:
View attachment 263356
Last one i actually like. Gold brown with a metal luster:
View attachment 263357

You can also see sone appaling pink and light blue that turned out so hideous I'm not even going to post them.
Moral of the story: do not leave your kiln unattended for a few days. Bad shit will happen!

Wow you are really onto something with that greeny crystalline glaze and the pink one next to it man! Love that pink ♡

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That was not what I expected :))).
To me it looks like a pair of old lady bloomers.
View attachment 263419

But you know what, you get a panty pot in the next 🔥 :)).

rofl. Think of it on a pot for a pink flowered azalea or something like that. It might not be a color to slap on a pine, but it'd probably look nice on a flowering tree. Skip the pleats and ruffles though.

Reaction score
Really man, that colour would look sick as hell on a suiban or on a pot with some kind of white/blue flowering stuff in there. Thanks for the granny panty image 😂😂
Would love a panty pot of yours ;)

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Nuts. Hope you're all doing fine!
After a long long long absence, I'm back. You probs didn't miss me all that much, but nevertheless I'm back.
News since last year: I've built a kiln. Got tired of not having my own... Couldn't find one that didn't cost an arm and a leg.... So i made one.
First firing a week ago: a whopping success, as in the house didn't burn down and two nice pots actually came out.

Attachments

• IMG_20200729_231704.jpg
    IMG_20200729_231704.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200729_231128.jpg
    IMG_20200729_231128.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200722_135514.jpg
    IMG_20200722_135514.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 43

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Ok now that I’ve read everything. Lol
Did you sell that second ever pot? I looooove that one! If not wanna ship it to me? 🤞🏻

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok now that I’ve read everything. Lol
Did you sell that second ever pot? I looooove that one! If not wanna ship it to me? 🤞🏻
Hello. Sadly I do not. At this time it's housing a potentilla @defra 's house :). My only pot avalable now is the brown semi-cascade I posted last night.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hello. Sadly I do not. At this time it's housing a potentilla @defra 's house :). My only pot avalable now is the brown semi-cascade I posted last night.
😭😭😭😭 All your pots have been great but the first two were so clean!

Top Bottom