First ever pot. Thoughts?

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Nicely done on the suiban! What is the size? Slumping can be a concern on larger pieces once you add feet. Something that I tried on larger pieces was to add a support in the center the same thickness as the feet. It helped keep things from slumping in drying and the final firing. I know it isn't the most elegant solution, but most of the pots I made larger than 12" or so had a support built in to the center. Later I discovered I could make a support and put it under the pot for drying, so it did its job supporting damp clay. When dry, I fired the support with the pot in bisque (just set it inside the pot). Once it was ready for the glaze/final firing, attached to support temporarily with wax, which held the foot in place, but burnt out in firing. It still supported the bottom of the pot during firing, and using the wax made sure that whoever was loading the kiln didn't miss putting the support underneath the pot. If you are loading the kiln yourself, waxing wouldn't be needed, but it sure helped when relying on group firing with studio techs loading the kilns. It worked very well and the support was released leaving a nice bottom with just feet. The attached center supports look fine, because you can't see it unless you flip the pot over, but the perfectionist in me always knows it is there and is bothered a little by it.

Attachments

• IMG_3926.jpg
    IMG_3926.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 56

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work man!
I cant wait untill spring to put a tree in the pot youve send my way that i won :D

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Gsquared heyya! Thanks for the idea. I went ahead and shamelessly stole it :D.
I put a square piece with the same thickness as the feet in the middle and under the rim to make certain it stays in place. Just placed, not attached. The suiban is 35x25x1.5 cm. Largest piece i've ever done actually. I'm scared shitless by the firing as all the pieces so far are on the largish side. Got a couple more to go and i'll have enough to fire.
Love the glaze on yours.

20181009_002512.jpg

@defra Hi! Thanks for the appreciation. Found a tree for it i take it :D.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Looks good on the feet. The supports will definitely help with slumping. Go ahead and do one in the middle of the suiban too. Dead center. Should be supported in the middle too. 30 cm should be pretty safe. It is when I've gotten up to 40 cm that I have more problems like cracking. Slow drying helps too.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is the biggest pot you can make?
Hey Vance! In theory, the kiln my friends allow me to make use of can fit something along the lines of 100×60×50 centimetres but in practice anything above 30×30 still scares me. Still learning how to properly dry and fire big pieces.

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tonight I'm going into fantasyland again. This is a pot I've been wanting to make for a good long while now. I know a lot of you don't like flamboyant pots but still... Hexagon pot with sculptural feet. The feet are inspired by a Paleolithic culture discovered on Romanian soil that is thought to be one of the oldest in Europe. It's called the Cucuteni-Trypillia culture. The subject is a feminine symbol of fertility and harvest.
Now I'm trying to figure out for what size feet i should aim...
Thoughts? (sculptures a rough drafts just to get size.)

20190216_211659.jpg
20190217_005033.jpg
20190217_004821.jpg
20190217_004802.jpg
20190217_004751.jpg

Reaction score
I like special pots. The pot feels somewhat heavy for the figurines. A "window" or small rim might work. Looking forward to see this one finished.

Top Bottom